Anyone recommend decent tow mirrors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of Trail Ridge tow mirrors. The driver's side is ok but the passenger side SUCKS... The main problem is that the upper large mirror on all DOT approved passenger side mirrors are supposed to have a very slight wide angle built in. That's why they have the words "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear" on the glass. The Trail Ridge right side mirrors are fully magnified and it's like tunnel vision. They try to make up for it by putting a massively wide curved mirror underneath it but that does too far the opposite and makes everything hard to see. So basically if you're trying to back up a trailer the right side mirrors are almost useless.

Does anyone have suggestions on mirrors they like that will fit my 2008 Exp EL? I've tried finding replacement glass made for right side and no luck on the correct size.

Also, Trail Ridge does not have customer support- at all. As far as I can tell, it's completely non existent. They are based in China and sold by stores in the US. THere's no email or phone number for the factory customer support that I can find. If there's a problem you're supposed to call the store you bought it from, then their only option of "Support" is for you to mail the mirror to them, and then they mail it to China, and in a month or so they'll send you a replacement. That's what I was told by the store online. I think I paid around $200 or more without turn signals.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used Fit System. No complaints, they get the job done. The ones I had before sucked. They would pick up so much wind the mirrors would fold if I went much over 65, or if I hit a headwind. They also didn't attached as securely.

mrlynn

Reaction score
I need tow mirrors for my 2013 XL. Does Ford make any? Came with HD tow package, but no extra mirrors. Escape 21 trailer is not super wide, but I'd like a better view for lanes and backing up. One respondent on the Escape Owners Forum recommends Milenco Grand Aeros that clamp on—would these work? I've read the clamp-on or strap-on types tend to fly off at speed.

Ross Aldrich

Reaction score

Attachments

• 20210925_171301[1].jpg
    20210925_171301[1].jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 8

Shiftfocus

Reaction score
I put a set of Trail Ridge mirrors on my 2012 MAX (EL, but in Canada), and 4 years later I still LOVE them, even with the flat RH mirror. Yes, the "tunnel vision" is a nuisance, but more than makes up for the countless issues with cheaper options (worst of all was that the aero drag would snap the OEM mirrors back under a stiff crosswind at 55 mph). Cost me almost C$500 to get them here, and I consider it well spent.