Anyone tow 8,000 lbs. with their 2021 Expedition FX4 with max towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Pawpaw

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Again, the 9,200 pound is a theoretical maximum load when all the stars align. In practice, the maximn load is closet 7,500 lbs. If you watch the video I posted, it explains in great detail and in an easy to understand manner how to determine your maximum allowed load; you will find out is considerabl;y lower thna 9,200 pounds. I too have a Expy with the heavy dudty tow package so I am aware of its limitations.

I watched the video twice and its very well versed. Surprised when I looked at the payload of our Expy and it shows 1769 lb. Only the wife and I plus some luggage so no weight inside the cab. Food for 2 or 3 days in the fridge/freezer and any other items trying to keep them over the axles or the rear dinette area. Re-adjusted the Equalizer and aired up the truck tires to around the 65 psi cold setting. Made a big difference vs the ride back from the dealer. Plan on keeping it in the 60-62 mph range max and most towing will be short trips on flat highways. I live out in the country and have no idea of the closest scale. Maybe one of those Curt weigh safe scales will suffice. In the video it shows an extra gasoline and propane container not strapped down. Is this OK because some states its illegal. Once again great video and very well done. Still waiting on shipments of RV supplies coming in so we can take our first trip in this camper. IMG_6259.JPG

Looks level in this photo angle.

JVinOlathe

Reaction score
I watched the video twice and its very well versed. Surprised when I looked at the payload of our Expy and it shows 1769 lb. Only the wife and I plus some luggage so no weight inside the cab. Food for 2 or 3 days in the fridge/freezer and any other items trying to keep them over the axles or the rear dinette area. Re-adjusted the Equalizer and aired up the truck tires to around the 65 psi cold setting. Made a big difference vs the ride back from the dealer. Plan on keeping it in the 60-62 mph range max and most towing will be short trips on flat highways. I live out in the country and have no idea of the closest scale. Maybe one of those Curt weigh safe scales will suffice. In the video it shows an extra gasoline and propane container not strapped down. Is this OK because some states its illegal. Once again great video and very well done. Still waiting on shipments of RV supplies coming in so we can take our first trip in this camper. View attachment 73000

Looks level in this photo angle.
Keep in mind that the truck's 1,769 pound allowed payload AND the tongue load are part of the 9,200 pound max allowable load. You can see how having, say 1,000 pound payload and 700 tongue load, results in a maximum trailer weight is only 7,500 pounds. Also. having the trailer level is nice but having the correct tongue load is a lot more important.

OP
OP
Pawpaw

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Made our maiden voyage with the camper over a week ago. Trailer towed very well probably due to the light winds we had. Shifted weight more to the trucks front axle and loaded the camper with heavy things over the axles and a little weight towards the rear. Emptied one propane tank and had my tires on the Expy aired to 65 psi. Went to a state park about 40 miles away and the rig handled very well. No swaying and it actually felt light. Got 9.5 mpg with about 30 minutes of idling so thats not too bad. Averaged 55 to 60 mph in an area where 65 mph was the max speed limit. Impressed with the ease backing into spots with this much shorter rig. I think we'll be OK for short trips like we planned especially with the price of fuel and having a small 23.5 gallon tank. I think it tows just as good as a F150 in some cases.

s1000pre

Reaction score
I tow a 30’ Airstream with my 2022 Expy Max. My door sticker shows 1,780 lb. Payload. Trailer is 6,600 empty, 7,900 loaded. Hitch is 950lbs. We are on a 12 month trip around the county. The Expy tows smoother than my F150 XLT. A must have is either a Hensley or ProPride sway elimination hitch which eliminates the ball. The trailer will not toss the vehicle around like a standard WD hitch. It tows more like a 5th wheel.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1