Are you keeping your tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skmcclain

Reaction score
2020 Expy, came with 275/55/20 all terrain hankooks
Upgraded to the ready lift 3/2 and toyo open country highway 275/60/20s
I say we just keep my original ties and rims for back up. They have 70k miles on them. But have a lot of life left.My husband says sell them.
What do y'all do when you switch your tires?

RussD89

Reaction score
Mine will have 1500 miles when i get them swapped next week. Selling them at a discount to my uncle. I've hoarded too much crap in my life that I've downsized the "spare this or that.". I've watched my mother throw out things my father has hoarded over the years, to include old but still "good" tires that he never used again. At 70k, unless the tread is at half of new, I wouldn't keep. You'll never remount them.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I kept my stock tires/wheels (31k miles) as a backup & for road trips (better MPG).

RussD89

Reaction score
At 20k, it would be different. I would hang on to them just like DWs.

And I just re-read where you said rims, which changes the game a little.

RussD89

Reaction score
What makes that change it?
Not having to get tires remounted on the rims just to use them would lessen the hassle, and effectively provide you with a set for highway trips where the larger tires might hit you for a little mpg, and use the others when you wanted to look cooler, drive around town, or some other reason. Maybe offload the tires for a discount to someone needing them, and get a set of mud tires for weekend camping, or snow tires for a trip to the north. Quite a few possibilities there.

Not going with a full offroad or all terrain set for the new tires means the old ones are truly being replaced and may not serve much purpose to you, and someone will buy your stock rims and tires even with 20k.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I kept the OEM tires mounted on the OEM wheels just for road trips. Had the tire shop install normal valve stems too. Put the factory TPMS’s in the new tires/rims.