Audio Settings not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpav

Reaction score
Hey all. New here, been watching for a couple months, but now reasons to post some questions on here.

Not sure if it is an interior setting issue, or with the nav/radio system, so I posted this in the interior forum as well.

2006 Limited. Has the factory Nav system. When trying to adjust the audio settings menu, it never goes to that menu. No matter what is pressed, it just goes back to the home screen after any push from the menu listing.

That button does work for other functions, just not for this one thing. So no way to adjust treble, bass, fader, etc. that I assume is all in that area.

Ideas? Is there a reset for this, or is this a broken unit?

Thanks,
Josh

OP
OP
J

jpav

Reaction score
Does anyone else have the factory nav (assume it is all the same in 04-06 at least)? Seems really odd that all other functions work, but not those adjustments. Almost as if it is disabled somehow. I've gone through the switch on and off back seat controls, and in nav, cd, radio, etc all before trying the "Audio Settings" menu, and the menu never allows you to get anywhere.

The rear door speakers and sub do work as far as I can tell.

Does a dealer know anything about these? Or is there an aftermarket place that repairs them that can offer 'reset' advice?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might try replacement radios, they do repairs, and sell new/ rebuilt units 217-239-9716 is contact info.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jpav

Reaction score
Thanks, found their web site, and message sent. Hopefully it is an easy/cheap repair as I really don't want to spend a lot on a factory system when aftermarket upgrades are getting so cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jpav

Reaction score
Got a message back, saying they couldn't help, and pointed me to a couple other phone numbers for places in NY or in MI

"We don't handle anything like that. You might try Radios And More out of Syracuse, NY: 877-888-2225. Or MnR Electronics out of Saginaw, MI: 800-343-1382. Please be sure to tell them we sent you."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jpav

Reaction score
So, I've tried to run the self test. I can get the speaker walk-around test to happen, and all reports fine, but not any of the other 5 options listed below seem to work. I'm trying to enter from the walk-around test mode, but the preset buttons start none of the actions. Maybe that alone indicates the unit is messed up a bit. I would hope the DTC codes would help figure out what, but can't seem to get them to work. Maybe someone has done this, and the instructions are just bad??

FYI, from the factory manual:

Speaker Walk-Around Test

NOTE: To enter the speaker walk-around test or audio unit self-diagnostic mode, the audio unit must be turned on and in radio tuner mode (AM/FM).

To enter the speaker walk-around test, simultaneously press and hold the audio unit preset buttons 3 and 6 for approximately 3 seconds, then release.

page2image1352

1. The speaker walk-around test applies sound to each speaker for 1 to 2 seconds. Each speaker is tested and displayed on the audio unit in the following sequence: RF, LF, LR, RR.

2. The speaker walk-around test automatically continues and tests for the operation of the AM/FM antenna. If the antenna is inoperative, NOT FOUND will be displayed. If the vehicle is not equipped with CD/DJ, or if the CD/DJ is not responding, NO DJ will be displayed.
Audio Unit Self-Diagnostic Mode

NOTE: To enter the speaker walk-around test or audio unit self-diagnostic mode, the audio unit must be turned on and in radio tuner mode (AM/FM).

1. To enter the following tests, press the desired preset button while in the speaker walk-around test or while in the audio unit self-diagnostic mode.

2. To exit the audio unit self-diagnostic mode, turn the key to the OFF position or turn the audio unit off.

3. If the concern remains and the fault is not detected, GO to Symptom Chart.

4. The audio unit self-diagnostic mode has 5 tests available:
• Preset Button 1 = Audio internal/external SELF TEST. This test is an on-demand self-test. If SELF FAIL is displayed, press TUNE > to scroll through the stored DTCs. Refer to the Audio Unit Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index. If the system is OK, SELF PASS will be displayed.

• Preset Button 2 = View/Clear continuous DTCs. NO DTCS is displayed if no DTCs are retrieved. If DTCS FOUND is displayed, press TUNE > to view the DTCs. Refer to the Audio Unit Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index. To clear all DTCs, press the EJECT button. DTCS CLEAR will be displayed.

• Preset Button 3 = SIGNAL TEST. This test measures the average strength at the current tuner setting.

• NOTE: Always document, clear, and carry out the audio unit on-demand self-test again.

Preset Button 4 = Software configuration level. This test queries each audio system controller for its software configuration level. SOFT LEVELS will be displayed upon completion of the query. Press TUNE > to scroll through the software configuration version level.

• Preset Button 5 = DISPLAY TEST. This test lights all the audio unit display segments for 5 seconds. When the test is complete, DISPLAY TEST is displayed.