Auto dimming power mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert Castro

Reaction score
Odd question does anyone know how much power this part draws. If its enough I want to hard wire a dash cam directly to it. I am amusing its always on and drawing 12 volts.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Sorry I don't have that answer but those dashcams draw quite a bit of power. I installed a Garmin one and the lead is much thicker than the wire to the mirror. Lots of extra fuses in the fuse box though...

OP
OP
R

Robert Castro

Reaction score
Yea. The more I look into this the more that is the best route to go.

DanBeauvais

Reaction score
I’m looking at the mirror power lead to tap power for a dash cam. My dash cam is USB powered, which is 5 volts. The mirror is likely 12 volts.

I’m a previous vehicle, I tapped a switched power line when installing a replacement stereo. On that tap, I added a cigarette lighter socket, and plugged a USB adapter into it, zip tied it together, plugged in two micro USB cables run thru a hole drilled out of sight in a dash top tray. Buried the adapters in the dash. The two cables were for wireless charging smartphone holder, and the dash cam.

I’m thinking about tapping the mirror power in my new to me 16 Expy. Bury a cig plug and USB adapter in the sunroof switch console. And power a dash cam this way.

Id love to hear of other’s experiences and ideas.