Auto start not working on dealer ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

byz250f

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I drove 2 different 18 Expedition Maxs today. Neither would shut off at a stop sign. I turned off the heated seats, steering wheel and dropped the heat down. Still couldn't get it to work. Curious if its off for a while when new, or if its something else I didn't know about? BTW the button was on...I checked that first.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The system doesnt stop at every stop. Also, turning down temp doesnt get the system to work right away, the interior temp has to go down as well. Did u want it to work?

OP
OP
B

byz250f

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The system doesnt stop at every stop. Also, turning down temp doesnt get the system to work right away, the interior temp has to go down as well. Did u want it to work?

Yes I wanted it to work to show my wife. I had a 17 Raptor and it would turn on at every stop light.

benyl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Battery probably needs to be charged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kmdcolo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is vehicle information screen for auto start/stop. If you access this screen it will tell you why the engine us running.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s better off running anyway :)
Many disable this “feature”, various studies have been done and the little bit of fuel saved over 100k+ miles won’t cover 1 starter replacement...

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Heated seats and/or steering wheel stop mine from turning off. Once I turn off either of those heaters and drive it for 30 minutes or so, the ASS kicks back in. I think those heating elements just draw too much power.

(That being said, when mine was brand new 12000 miles ago, this was not the case.)

I had a short thread on this a few weeks ago:
Auto Start/Stop Disabled due to “Vehicle Charging”?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...ue-to-“Vehicle-Charging”?.37554/&share_type=t

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see you're posting from MI; so were these vehicles running the front defroster? From what I've read, ASS is "off" when the A/C is "on," and defrost setting activates A/C compressor. Hasn't been cold enough here to test this theory. Anyways, my normal instinct is to start the vehicle and immediately reach over and deactivate ASS.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see you're posting from MI; so were these vehicles running the front defroster? From what I've read, ASS is "off" when the A/C is "on," and defrost setting activates A/C compressor. Hasn't been cold enough here to test this theory. Anyways, my normal instinct is to start the vehicle and immediately reach over and deactivate ASS.

ASS is absolutely not disabled when the AC is on. Here in Texas my AC is on 360 days a year and has no effect on the ASS; sometimes the truck starts back up a little sooner at a long light to give the AC some more juice, but it’s certainly not prevented from cutting the engine just because the AC is on. There’s a long list of things that prevent it from shutting the vehicle down or prompting it to turn it back on...and it’s complicated:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False&userMarket=USA

I just kinda let it do its thing.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My mistake, thanks for clearing me up. Now I know not to change my startup procedure once it warms up again.