Aux Lights wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexEx

Reaction score
Can someone share a link of a video installing a switch for additional LED lights, specifically to come on along with the fog lights from the main factory pull out switch if possible..'05 Exp

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TexEx

Reaction score
2 running lights, Placed in the grill..I've seen a cple of different videos but nothing specific for my 05

OP
OP
T

TexEx

Reaction score
$10 ain't bad at all..just ground in the fire wall or something solid near battery?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can ground to any chassis grounding spot, doesn't have to be the firewall. I would suggest triggering from the high beams rather than the fog lights though. If maximum light is what you're going for when the high beams are on, the fog lights turn off when the high beams are on ( the law in most states...). (Unless you go McGyver the fusebox harness...) Take the trigger wire from one of the high beam hot wires. It's more usable light for driving and that's what your goal is.

OP
OP
T

TexEx

Reaction score
Ok, you may have lost me, I thought the harness was to eliminate in cutting or splicing other than having to splice the lights into the harness itself? So will I need to find the trigger wire from the stalk & then run back to fuse box? The diagram of the harness shows one going to the acc.
Thanks for your advice btw..

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, you may have lost me, I thought the harness was to eliminate in cutting or splicing other than having to splice the lights into the harness itself? So will I need to find the trigger wire from the stalk & then run back to fuse box? The diagram of the harness shows one going to the acc.
Thanks for your advice btw..

No, you can use a multimeter and find the high beam hot wire on the passenger side of the Expy ( it should be a light green / black wire .... ). Tap off of that for your relay's trigger wire. Your main feed wire ( the red fused wire...) can just run off the battery post terminal.

OP
OP
T

TexEx

Reaction score
Ok > think I may be getting it, so just to clarify, With my multimeter (on Dc of course) ,I'm looking for the highbeam wire on passenger side near head light or closer to firewall? The wiring at firewall is all taped up from factory install. looks like the headlight might be more accessible..

OP
OP
T

TexEx

Reaction score
Man there is simply no videos for rigging up an old exp like this, every other kind of vehicle except the 2nd gen, plus all the videos have them installing a switch inside the vehicle whish I guess is for override & running lights...however I like the idea of having them come on with the brights because as you said the factory lights shut off upon switching on highbeams..thx again

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpwiseman