Auxiliary Power plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisRCNY

Reaction score
That's a weird way to represent a power receptacle. Had me wondering if it was a relay for a few minutes.

OP
OP
Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam

Reaction score
How does a power supply like that determine the current to drive?
If it's a 50 amp power supply, will it try to drive 50 amps at 13.8V?
or is there an inherent resistance with the battery that determines supplied current?
I don't understand that piece of it.

update: I'll study this tonight while swilling Miller beer
https://www.itacanet.org/eng/elec/battery/battery.pdf

The charging rate (amperes) is determinate upon the internal resistance of the battery that
is being charged.
Your reference you posted (itacanet.org) explains it very well....

OP
OP
Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam

Reaction score
That's a weird way to represent a power receptacle. Had me wondering if it was a relay for a few minutes.

I couldn't agree more....I've never seen an electronics schematic of a plug depicted that way....ever.

OP
OP
Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam

Reaction score
When I turned the supply up to 14.3v, I got 1.45a, and 12.15v at battery. Pretty noteworthy drop in there, somewhere.

Might be worth turning your supply up to the higher end of 6 cell lead acid float voltages. There's still a ton of drop, but it'll work.

This is my whole point...the circuit is rated at 20 amps, if the stipulated fuse (20 amps) is indicative of the circuit capacity. With voltage drops that are measured by people, other than myself, are showing large voltage drops in the circuit between the outlet plug and the battery something is going on other than a straight run of wire from the fuse to the plug, UNLESS the wire gauge is not large enough to support a 0 to 19.9 amp load....in which case that would be a manufacturing fault....

The scary thing about the whole situation is, if there is in fact that large of a voltage drop, then if the circuit is used to try and support a slightly less than 20 amp load, that drop will manifest itself as heat and thus be a major concern as far as fire.....