AWD Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peter L

Reaction score
Bought a low mileage 2019 Limited to replace a 2012 Limited. Wasn't real excited to discover that the old 2H/4A/4H/4L was switched to the drive mode but such is life. Immediately replaced the basically stock "street" tires with Falken Wild Peak AT3W. I generally run "Normal" (2H) drive mode but if there's snow on the road, I use the "Sand/Grass/Rut" mode which I think is basically the same as the old 4A mode and have had no issues at highway speed. No traction issues at all even with really bad conditions over the Eisenhower Tunnel approaches here in CO; and if the road is variably wet/snow packed, no issues leaving it in 2WD "Normal" mode. I put that down to the tires which I've run on the old and the new Expy for several years. Same good traction goes for fairly deep/loose sand in eastern CO when hunting - the same AWD setting worked great. Call me surprised but it seems to be as efficient as the old system although I will would prefer to be able to lock in 4WD. POint is, I don't htink you need to run in the 4A mode all the time (deer avoidance is an exception) IF you have decent tires, as in not the crappy stock LT street tires that come with the vehicle.

Only two other comments - I did see a drop in mpg when I switched to the Falkens of almost 2 mpg (-10%+ drop); I'll gladly give this up for the improved traction! The other thing I notice is that if I'm in the Sand/Grass/Rut mode (basically 4A), I can't get it out of that and back to "Normal" unless I switch it to "Eco" mode. Anyone else have this issue?

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bought a low mileage 2019 Limited to replace a 2012 Limited. Wasn't real excited to discover that the old 2H/4A/4H/4L was switched to the drive mode but such is life. Immediately replaced the basically stock "street" tires with Falken Wild Peak AT3W. I generally run "Normal" (2H) drive mode but if there's snow on the road, I use the "Sand/Grass/Rut" mode which I think is basically the same as the old 4A mode and have had no issues at highway speed. No traction issues at all even with really bad conditions over the Eisenhower Tunnel approaches here in CO; and if the road is variably wet/snow packed, no issues leaving it in 2WD "Normal" mode. I put that down to the tires which I've run on the old and the new Expy for several years. Same good traction goes for fairly deep/loose sand in eastern CO when hunting - the same AWD setting worked great. Call me surprised but it seems to be as efficient as the old system although I will would prefer to be able to lock in 4WD. POint is, I don't htink you need to run in the 4A mode all the time (deer avoidance is an exception) IF you have decent tires, as in not the crappy stock LT street tires that come with the vehicle.

Only two other comments - I did see a drop in mpg when I switched to the Falkens of almost 2 mpg (-10%+ drop); I'll gladly give this up for the improved traction! The other thing I notice is that if I'm in the Sand/Grass/Rut mode (basically 4A), I can't get it out of that and back to "Normal" unless I switch it to "Eco" mode. Anyone else have this issue?

agreed on the stock rubber being terrible...

i’m running 20” E-rated 10ply Nokian Rotiva AT-Plus that are beasts for almost every driving situation, with nearly zero decrease in mpg - sidewall strength & overal handling stability is A+ in general -

even before i swapped tires, i noticed that the steering tightens significantly in my 2019 when running in 4A vs 2H. that’s probably the most noticeable change & biggest reason i keep it in 4A with our crazy backroad curves.... the steeeing wheel tracking & accuracy are significantly improved (IME).

Kudie

Reaction score
Lokiwolf
my expedition and many more are like mine from the factory with fulltime locked hubs. Find the TSB and research a bit before you tell me i am wrong. You are not always correct and after dealing with these systems for 65 years i could teach you something. Don’t need a ******* match though so have a nice day.

DGeis

Reaction score
We got our first bit of snow, just a couple of inches, but playing around just a little bit I got a "4x4 temporarily disabled" error message. In about 60 seconds it re-engaged. It did it 3x, all prompted by breaking it loose. It's headed back to the dealer Friday.

I love the Expedition but if there's one thing I hate it's these drive modes. Sport turns on 4A. Turn the car off and back on Sport is no longer on but 4A is. And snow mode feels like you have to beg it to go.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Front hubs are always locked on the newer f150 and expedition
Everything is always spinning.
You said this...which is completely and 100% incorrect. I drive a 2021 Job2 F150 Lariat PowerBoost that I DD. The hubs are the new EIWE variant, and they definitely unlock. Also, my 2020 Expedition(Wife's DD) also definitely unlock. I have had it off the ground for other reasons(repairing the crap Felt underbody piece), and the front wheels will spin independent of the front drive shafts. Therefore unlocked. Honestly, haven't looked for the solenoid, or looked at the back of the hubs, because well if they stop working, I will take it to the dealer(Under warranty).

Lokiwolf
my expedition and many more are like mine from the factory with fulltime locked hubs. Find the TSB and research a bit before you tell me i am wrong. You are not always correct and after dealing with these systems for 65 years i could teach you something. Don’t need a ******* match though so have a nice day.
You tell me to FIND the TSB, and research it...it is on you to prove this not me. I have seen the operation of a 2021 150(That you originally mentioned, not me) and a 2020 Limited Max with Heavy Tow and the ELSD. If your 2021 Stealth is different, prove it. Take a picture of the back of the Hub, or even the hub diagram associated with a confirmed Stealth VIN. I do not doubt you that ford is telling service departments to default them to locked as a solution, because of lack of parts. That is a valid work around, but proof is needed to validate your claim that "many" are coming from the factory fulltime locked. I am not saying you are wrong on the fact their might be a subset, but prove it!

I am not getting in a p-i-s-s-i-n-g contest, just merely asking for Data...

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
We got our first bit of snow, just a couple of inches, but playing around just a little bit I got a "4x4 temporarily disabled" error message. In about 60 seconds it re-engaged. It did it 3x, all prompted by breaking it loose. It's headed back to the dealer Friday.

I love the Expedition but if there's one thing I hate it's these drive modes. Sport turns on 4A. Turn the car off and back on Sport is no longer on but 4A is. And snow mode feels like you have to beg it to go.
Were you trying to get it sideways? What Mode were you in? Just curious.

If you want to get it sideways and play, you need to turn off Advance Trak(Press and Hold TC Button), then it gets real fun. Very controllable. I have put it in several snow powerslides in a row, and never had issue. If you leave things on, it gets a little pissed.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You said this...which is completely and 100% incorrect. I drive a 2021 Job2 F150 Lariat PowerBoost that I DD. The hubs are the new EIWE variant, and they definitely unlock. Also, my 2020 Expedition(Wife's DD) also definitely unlock. I have had it off the ground for other reasons(repairing the crap Felt underbody piece), and the front wheels will spin independent of the front drive shafts. Therefore unlocked. Honestly, haven't looked for the solenoid, or looked at the back of the hubs, because well if they stop working, I will take it to the dealer(Under warranty).

You tell me to FIND the TSB, and research it...it is on you to prove this not me. I have seen the operation of a 2021 150(That you originally mentioned, not me) and a 2020 Limited Max with Heavy Tow and the ELSD. If your 2021 Stealth is different, prove it. Take a picture of the back of the Hub, or even the hub diagram associated with a confirmed Stealth VIN. I do not doubt you that ford is telling service departments to default them to locked as a solution, because of lack of parts. That is a valid work around, but proof is needed to validate your claim that "many" are coming from the factory fulltime locked. I am not saying you are wrong on the fact their might be a subset, but prove it!

I am not getting in a p-i-s-s-i-n-g contest, just merely asking for Data...
Just as an FYI...Ford is 100% telling dealers (at least the dealer I was at) to lock the hubs. Diagnosis was a vacuum leak up front. Funny thing is it didn't really solve the problem. I just got mine back and the service writer was shaking his head at Ford saying this week it's this solution on the hubs, next week it's another. Mine is a 2018 with 94k miles.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just as an FYI...Ford is 100% telling dealers (at least the dealer I was at) to lock the hubs. Diagnosis was a vacuum leak up front. Funny thing is it didn't really solve the problem. I just got mine back and the service writer was shaking his head at Ford saying this week it's this solution on the hubs, next week it's another. Mine is a 2018 with 94k miles.
Thanks @Gumby! It is a legit shorter term workaround that gets the vehicle back out the door with 4WD working.

DGeis

Reaction score
Yes I was sliding it around the intersections in the neighborhood. I hit the button to disable the traction control. Does holding it down do something different?

I ended up getting sick this week so still haven't taken it into the shop.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone felt a surging or bucking feeling when in Sport mode, 4a and about a 1/3 throttle accelerating through 2nd. 3rd and 4th gears? RPM's are anywhere from about 1700 - 3000. Its not during the gear changes but in the gears accelerating. I'm looking to take my 2018 in for service soon and want to mention this but looking to see what others feel. In Sport mode and 2 wheel mode its perfectly smooth and in normal or eco mode in 4a its also smooth. Seems to only do it in Sport 4a lower trans gears.