AWD modification questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimmbrooks

Reaction score
Hey guys '00 EB 5.4l expy AWD not 4x4
Every lift I look at, (really considering the zone) says either not for AWD or AWD with driveline modification. Can anybody who has done a lift on an AWD expy let me know what is entailed, searched through the results on here and can't find a definitive answer, I would hate to ruin my expy if the AWD is going to self destruct with a lift.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Hey guys '00 EB 5.4l expy AWD not 4x4

I don't know about anything about lifting the expy but yours should be no different than any other 1st gen 4wd expy. They are automatic 4wd (A4wd) not really all wheel drive. In A4wd it engages 4wd only when wheel slip is detected. In 99 they did away with the center axle disconnect and 2wd setting.

There are many lifted expys in here maybe they can chime in.

From Wikipedia...

First generation (1997–2002)

Known internally at Ford as the UN93, the first generation Ford Expedition was developed under the UN93 program.[3] The all-new full-size SUV was introduced in late 1996 as a 1997 model, replacing the aging two-door Ford Bronco in Ford’s vehicle lineup. Expedition featured optional three row seating, first row captains chair luxury seating, available second row captains chair luxury seating, genuine premium leather seating surfaces (imitation leather was not available for Expeditions) illuminated running boards, heated side view mirrors, power moon roof, dual zone climate control and Ford’s premium Mach audio sound system with rear subwoofer. Many of these features were standard on the top-of-the-line Expedition Eddie Bauer. Expedition XLT served as the entry level model.
Expedition was available with automatic ControlTrac four-wheel drive with two-speed dual range BorgWarner 4406 transfer gearbox and intelligent locking center multi-disc differential. ControlTrac was first introduced on the 1995 Ford Explorer, although the Expedition received its own transfer gearbox designed for high torque output. The system included four driver selectable modes: Two High, Auto, Four High (lock) and Four Low (lock). Two High mode and Auto mode with auto-lock wasn’t available on the Explorer’s system.[4]
The Expedition’s mechanicals consisted of a short & long arm (SLA) independent front suspension, multi-link rear live axle and speed sensitive power assisted steering. Optional equipment included off road under body skid plate protection, Traction-Lok rear limited-slip differential and a heavy-duty trailer tow package.
Expedition was also available with an adaptive, electronically controlled pneumatic air-ride suspension system that would raise and lower the vehicle depending on road and load conditions. The system also included a kneel down mode which would lower the Expedition down to allow easier ingress and egress as well as loading cargo.[5] Similar to how a camel kneels down to allow a rider to climb aboard.
Engine choices consisted of a standard 4.6 liter Triton V8 or an optional 5.4 liter Triton V8. The first generation Expedition was rated as a Low Emission Vehicle (LEV).[6] The latter engine combined with the heavy-duty trailer tow package and appropriate axle ratio can achieve a towing capacity of 8,100 lbs (3,674 kg).[7][8]
The F150 and Expedition benefit from shared parts bin especially with collision parts.

Last edited:

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It has to do with the driveshaft, if a CV joint in the shaft or not . ( go to Fabtech site)
6" Performance System w/ Performance Shocks & Rear Coils - 1997-02 Ford Expedition 4WD
Walnuts Expy has Fabtech kit and is AWD he told me no problem.
I talked to the Zone people before I bought my Fabtech Kit (it was deal)
and they told me Driveshaft might need to longer and cv joint put in.
(my kit is sitting on the floor still :( but my Expy is AWD and I'm not worried)
Also the Zone kit is real nice!!

OP
OP
J

jimmbrooks

Reaction score
Thank you guys so far for your responses. My concern is that zone and fabtech both say not for AWD expeditions or driveline modification needed for AWD expeditions. Neither list what exactly they are. If I need to put in a SLE and convert to CV then thats not a bad deal because that is how i used to have to lift my jeep. I just want to make sure im not going to have a grenade in the transfercase because its thinking that its always detecting slip due to the now lftted state of the vehicle.

from fabtechs site:

*FOOTNOTE 30. Will not work with factory full time 4 wheel drive models. Some models may experience rear driveline vibration.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Thank you guys so far for your responses. My concern is that zone and fabtech both say not for AWD expeditions or driveline modification needed for AWD expeditions. Neither list what exactly they are. If I need to put in a SLE and convert to CV then thats not a bad deal because that is how i used to have to lift my jeep. I just want to make sure im not going to have a grenade in the transfercase because its thinking that its always detecting slip due to the now lftted state of the vehicle.

from fabtechs site:

*FOOTNOTE 30. Will not work with factory full time 4 wheel drive models. Some models may experience rear driveline vibration.

I would call them up and ask them to explain as all 1st gen 4wd expys are the same other than the change in 99 of dropping the center axle disconnect and 2wd selection. You may need to get a tech familiar with expys and not just reading the info on their screen. The site suggest there are two different model of 4wd 1st gen expys but this is not the case unless they are refering to the change in 99. Does this mean the 97-98 cannot use their A4wd selection?? The A4wd uses the anti lock brake sensors to determine wheel slip and driveline angle should have no effect on logic and application of the auto 4wd.

There is a "brown wire mod" that can be done on the 99 and later 1st gen expys that will disable the A4wd function. Do a search here and it should come up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jimmbrooks

Reaction score
Thank you, I will have to give them a call,

I have read extensively about the brown wire mod, however because the transfer case still spins after the mod i don't want the mod if i am still going to get the wear on the t-case.

Everything I have read indeed says that 97-99 and 00-02 are different. The 00-02 because of the lack of true disconnect and the brown wire mod not stopping the internal rotation 100% may cause issues in the breaks, and in the magnet engaging full 4wd when i need to lock it in.

I am surprised more people have not said anything about it here. There have to be plenty of 00-02 expys lifted out there. Do you guys..
A. Not KNOW about potential issues,
B. Not CARE about potential issues
or C. KNOW about them but have yet to experience any notable drive line deterioration...

Any 00-02 lifted owners want to chime in?? Oh and after the holidays I will give fabtech and Zone a call and see what they say. Hopefully I can help someone else out that may be as worried as I to permanently damaging a great rig...

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
explorer owners have done the same brown wire mod for years with no ill effects at all. just as i've never heard if a issue related to the transfer case or brown wire mod causing any type of issue.

Kidd

Reaction score
I have a 2000 and want to lift it also but having same probs everywhere says not for a4wd. Has anyone has installed the fabtech kit already on a a4wd. If so have u had any issues. And suggestions to anything else that should be changed when doin a 6 inch lift