Back right wheel feels like its bouncing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
08 Expedition EL with approx 116K miles. Bilstein 4600s (I think thats the number) were installed approximatley 15k miles ago. Something feels off with the suspension and I cant figure out what's wrong. Feels like the right rear wheel continues bouncing too many times after hitting a bump. Every so often I can hear a clunk when making a turn but cant pinpoint where its coming from exactly.

I thought I'd be looking at a bad strut, but I dont see anything leaking or any other reason to assume this strut with only 15K miles is bad.

Also thought it could be a bad ball joint somehwere. Got the rear end up in the air and nothing seems out of place. No extra slop or play in any of the obvious spots to look. Grabbed a bar and started poking, proding, and prying everywhere that made sense and nothing jumps out as being loose or worn bad enough to cause this.

Only thing that seems slightly out of place was the spring seemed like it could rotate a degree or two on the seat. Almost like its floating a bit when there is no weight on it. Could that be causing this and what might the fix be? Any other thoughts?

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Something feels off with the suspension and I cant figure out what's wrong. Feels like the right rear wheel continues bouncing too many times after hitting a bump. Every so often I can hear a clunk when making a turn but cant pinpoint where its coming from exactly.
Check your sway bar and end links. More than likely one of the end links is broke.

OP
OP
R

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
End links weren't broken. They sure don't look brand new and I can spin/rotate them easily, but definitely not broken. Same for the sway bar bushings. Not new, but still there and I can't move the sway bar by hand or with a big pry bar.

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check for the tire being out of round or a bubble in tread ,ply separtion.

maxxplatinum9137

Reaction score
08 Expedition EL with approx 116K miles. Bilstein 4600s (I think thats the number) were installed approximatley 15k miles ago. Something feels off with the suspension and I cant figure out what's wrong. Feels like the right rear wheel continues bouncing too many times after hitting a bump. Every so often I can hear a clunk when making a turn but cant pinpoint where its coming from exactly.

I thought I'd be looking at a bad strut, but I dont see anything leaking or any other reason to assume this strut with only 15K miles is bad.

Also thought it could be a bad ball joint somehwere. Got the rear end up in the air and nothing seems out of place. No extra slop or play in any of the obvious spots to look. Grabbed a bar and started poking, proding, and prying everywhere that made sense and nothing jumps out as being loose or worn bad enough to cause this.

Only thing that seems slightly out of place was the spring seemed like it could rotate a degree or two on the seat. Almost like its floating a bit when there is no weight on it. Could that be causing this and what might the fix be? Any other thoughts?
Probably a blown shock. You may or may not see evidence. I’d just replace the shock, if it stops bouncing, you solved your problem!