backup camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
GAINMOB

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok...this weekend is looking solid to install my camera...wife should be out with her friend!!! so i'll buy my glock 23 then to the hobby shop to get this started...i may just do it in my parking spot...but they have all the tools...what required for tools to take everything off...anything more than drill, hex set, sockets, wire stripper/cutter? i think i want to solder the connection...nvr done performed that before...

what do yall recommend to snake the wires through the grommet at the top of the tailgate?

mtondreo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went thru the the factiry grommet (was kind of a PIA because the rca cable is so big) but use a blade to cut what was needed. I tried to go thru the headliner, but had too much trouble. So i brought it down thru the rear pillar and pulled the luggage tray to push all of th way forward. Then down thru the door jambs. I had to do my extension in between the door jambs. then caught my reverse wire in the kick panel and routed over. It took me longer than expected - but I do not have the patience i used to because there are always so many other things that I need to be doing. There was a write up showing how to pull the interior panel on the tailgate - the rest was basic tools and some electrical stuff. Make sure you have extensions for the video and electrical cables - I ran out sooner than expected and used speaker wire to continue electrical and barrel connected the video. Enjoy, Mike.

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I actually didn't go through the OEM rubbet boot to the tailgate. I just left a small "slack loop" to mimic the movement of the factory boot.

Once you remove the inside liner and assist strap (Torx bit), you have to peel back the vapor barrier to access the 4 nuts that hold the chrome lic plate lights bezel in place. A long extenstion bar makes removing these so much easier.

There are several options for running the power and video cables.

I ran mine above the headliner. Get a good electrical fish tape and it's not a tough job. I did remove the light over the rear seat (driver's side) and the center roof console (abover rear view mirror). Since I have the rear A/C ducts in the ceiling of my Ex, it took a little finesse to get the fish tape by the duct work.

I then ran the cables down the passenger side A pillar through the glove box and over to the head unit. You'll have to remove the grab handle on the A pillar to remove the cover. Be advised that I have an airbag in my a-pillar so I had to be careaful as to the route for the cable not to interfere (sp) with the possible deployment of the airbag.

I also ran the control and power cables for my rear emergency lighting the same route as the camera cables.

As I have already written, I did not tie my camera into the reverse circuit of the truck. I installed a toggle switch in the audio in jack to turn operate the camera. This way I can use the camer whenever I choose, not just in reverse.

Hope this helps with you installation.

Marc

MPTonyT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Heres a pic of the CMOS camera we have on the wifes truck. It works very well even at night. I am very impressed with it. It is a Boyo camera and i was able to get it for free from my work saying i was "testing" it.

Attachments

• Camera.jpg
    Camera.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 522

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I assume that all of you already have a monitor on the dash? I'd like to find an inexpensive monitor to use for this.

OP
OP
GAINMOB

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im going to run mine along the floor...i will buy extensions for the video...just havent figured out why they used 26 gauge wire for the ground/power...some suggest speaker wire...someone bell wire...im uncertain whats the best product to continue this connection

tsingson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They used 26 gauge because its cheaply made...thats all...but I soldered it with 18 gauge and it works fine...

MPTonyT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im going to run mine along the floor...i will buy extensions for the video...just havent figured out why they used 26 gauge wire for the ground/power...some suggest speaker wire...someone bell wire...im uncertain whats the best product to continue this connection

As long as you use wire that is as think or thicker than the existing wires that's all that matters. You can use any wire. Speaker wire is only called that because it is paired together and is NORMALLY used for speaker wires. You can use any wire you want.

tsingson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As long as you use wire that is as think or thicker than the existing wires that's all that matters. You can use any wire. Speaker wire is only called that because it is paired together and is NORMALLY used for speaker wires. You can use any wire you want.

Agreed....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev