Bad battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ganchan

Reaction score
This afternoon I noticed my car wouldn't turn over at all, even though the lights etc came on. Gave it a minute, tried again, and it turned over normally. Dashboard indicator showed the battery as OK.

Popped the hood and saw reddish liquid surrounding the battery terminals (see pic).

Is this battery about to explode or something? Am I viewing something normal? Is it just the anti-corrosion spray my auto shop added a few months back?
IMG_20190215_140623789.jpg

IMG_20190215_140623789.jpg

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, it's not going to explode. Why not go by the shop or interstate battery, and let them test the battery, and electrical system. That's your jump off point. Get back to us, we'll go from there.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If they are low use only bottle, not tap water. Still have the battery load tested, depending on age, my have a weak cell. When your SUV started the second time, did it crank over fast or slow? When my starter went out 2 years ago, it had symptoms of a failing battery. 2 days later my starter took a dirt nap, and never recovered.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
The red looks like a spray all the dealers in my area use. Its keeps corrosion from forming on the terminals and can be bought at any parts store. Don't remember the name for it though

Plati

Reaction score
If they are low use only bottle, not tap water. Still have the battery load tested, depending on age, my have a weak cell. When your SUV started the second time, did it crank over fast or slow? When my starter went out 2 years ago, it had symptoms of a failing battery. 2 days later my starter took a dirt nap, and never recovered.

Need distilled or deionized water, not bottled water. Most of that "bottled water" people buy to drink is filtered water, some of it is actually tap water in a bottle sometimes filtered. If carbon filtered that's better. Distilled or deionized water labelled as such is best.

The red is protective goo like MrGixer said.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did not know that about bottled water. As far as the red stuff, it's just called battery terminal protector. Personally, the best thing I've found are those red and green felt washers that go under the terminals. I've been using them for going on 30 years now, and my battery stays clean as new.

Plati

Reaction score
Geez ... Not trying to correct you Bud. Sorry. I looked at those felt washers and I thought the purpose of those was to insulate the positive post from the negative post (electrically) IF the battery top surface was so dirty that it could short between the two? Am I missing it?

My batteries never get that dirty where that could happen.

This pic is a new batt just put in and the dude sprayed it with red goo. The motorcraft batt I had put in by ford dealer they sprayed not only the batt terminals , also spray ground contacts on the wall.
E83CFF1C-3D5F-4081-8ADB-E201B3AEC93A.jpeg

I got that battery on the battery tender at home while I'm in Colorado.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No worries Sticker. I guess living in the Bay Area helps. I remember years ago, I used to get all that white flux buildup around positive cable. Maybe batteries have gotten better. The thing I do monthly, is I wipe down the top of my battery. I even left off the plastic cover from Ford, so I have access.