Ball joint boots disintegrated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard33770

Reaction score
2003 Expedition. 82,000 miles.

Ball joint boots disintegrated, the rubber dry rotted (?) and the joints are creaking. Anyone know if there was a recall or service bulletin of any kind, as it certainly appears as though the rubber material was garbage?

May be in the wrong section, but does anyone know of a good F-150/Expedition mechanic in the Clearwater/Largo, FL area to to the job on the ball joints and replace the shocks and struts? I used to enjoy doing that sort of repair, but getting too old for it now.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any alignment shop can do the work. Pepboys, Tire Kingdom, etc .... the parts are cheap, the labor is not .... Look at doing the lowers on all 4 corners.

OP
OP
R

Richard33770

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I would have thought th rubber would have lasted longer, but it's relatively thin and has to flex a lot, so I suppose that's normal. Now, to have to look at large numbers. I can't do this myself - would have at one time, but too old for it now.

Hamfisted mentioned 4 corners. You mean there's more? Yeah, I'm dating myself: last time I did anything like this, my car was a solid rear axle.