Battery replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Revive old Thread:

When the battery in my 2018 Expy dies, can I just go to Costco and slap in a replacement or does it require a dealer to install due to some type of Battery Management Controller?

You can swap it. Just make sure it’s AGM. My battery died a few months ago. It wouldn’t keep a charge anymore and had a short. My Costco had the right size but not AGM. Apparently there is a battery shortage too. I ended up getting one at Sams Club as they were one of the few that had one in stock.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Couple questions here.

My last vehicle also used AGM before I dropped in an aftermarket AGM battery, and both of them I used to once in a while charge up. I used to use a really old school, but regulated slow charge that would max out at 2AMPs and I could set the regulated voltage to less than 14V. Isn't the trick with AGM to slow charge and never allow the charging voltage to get above 15 or 16V?

Also, I see mention of Optima a lot in here. FWIW, I used to sell and use Optima's in custom cars and car audio/video systems in the 90's (e.g. built a suburban years ago with 6 stroker 18's, 12 Optima blue tops, 4 1uF caps, etc) and the batteries were king then. After that, they were acquired and manufacturing was moved to Mexico. From there on, the quality went downhill fast. We would swear by that brand, as I understand it, not one of the shops I used to work at even sell the brand anymore. In 2014, I bought a red and a blue top for a dual battery system on a Jeep, thinking they were still one of the best. Both were effectively dead under 18mo (and for those that don't know, on those Jeeps the main battery is stowed inside under the passenger seat). Was really disappointed. Maybe the chargers are better than their batteries but I won't pay a premium for them. I do see a lot of great reviews of Bosch batteries but man they are expensive.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Couple questions here.

My last vehicle also used AGM before I dropped in an aftermarket AGM battery, and both of them I used to once in a while charge up. I used to use a really old school, but regulated slow charge that would max out at 2AMPs and I could set the regulated voltage to less than 14V. Isn't the trick with AGM to slow charge and never allow the charging voltage to get above 15 or 16V?

Also, I see mention of Optima a lot in here. FWIW, I used to sell and use Optima's in custom cars and car audio/video systems in the 90's (e.g. built a suburban years ago with 6 stroker 18's, 12 Optima blue tops, 4 1uF caps, etc) and the batteries were king then. After that, they were acquired and manufacturing was moved to Mexico. From there on, the quality went downhill fast. We would swear by that brand, as I understand it, not one of the shops I used to work at even sell the brand anymore. In 2014, I bought a red and a blue top for a dual battery system on a Jeep, thinking they were still one of the best. Both were effectively dead under 18mo (and for those that don't know, on those Jeeps the main battery is stowed inside under the passenger seat). Was really disappointed. Maybe the chargers are better than their batteries but I won't pay a premium for them. I do see a lot of great reviews of Bosch batteries but man they are expensive.

Nice, I was way into car audio back in the day. Put myself through college doing it. Competed professionally in the IASCA events. It was a lot of fun. We always used Optima. After they where bought out they changed the bars that connect the cells. They would come loose and lose connection causing failures. I to gave up on them. I run Odyssey batteries now and they have been really good to me so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice, I was way into car audio back in the day. Put myself through college doing it. Competed professionally in the IASCA events. It was a lot of fun. We always used Optima. After they where bought out they changed the bars that connect the cells. They would come loose and lose connection causing failures. I to gave up on them. I run Odyssey batteries now and they have been really good to me so far.

I've had the Northstar Thin Plate Pure Lead batteries in my boat , they are awesome. Jp magazine actually did a comparison between Odyssey and Northstar and the Northstar came out on top. My brother had Optima in his car and had nothing but trouble, replaced them 3 times. I think Odyssey or Northstar are both great options.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Schumacher Charger it works just dandy on AGMs.

Schumacher SC1281 6/12V Fully Automatic Battery Charger and 30/100A Engine Starter with Advanced Diagnostic Testing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BLLRM8R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dBbEEbVJF81XZ

X2 Power are some of the best AGM batteries out there with a solid warranty.
https://www.batteriesplus.com/produ...rd/expedition/2019/v6-3.5l-800cca/sli94ragmdp

They are a starting and cycling battery so even if you fully discharge the battery you will have no issues charging it again fully.

I have a 2016 and it looks like our batteries are slightly different. But the link is for the 2019.
Seems the 4th gens are only available in 820 CCAs.

The 15-17s are 930 CCAs

I’d be surprised if the 15-17s have 930 CCA, that’s a lot considering most plow packages don’t even supply that kind of CCA.

Last edited:

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had the Northstar Thin Plate Pure Lead batteries in my boat , they are awesome. Jp magazine actually did a comparison between Odyssey and Northstar and the Northstar came out on top. My brother had Optima in his car and had nothing but trouble, replaced them 3 times. I think Odyssey or Northstar are both great options.

You know EnerSys makes both Odyssey and Northstar right?

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the Bosch? They get some really good reviews. Don't need one now but just curious.

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You know EnerSys makes both Odyssey and Northstar right?

That's fine, you know BMW owns both Mini and Rolls-Royce right? Point being they can still be made differently. Well actually, I said they were both good brands, I only have personal experience with Northstar and Optima. I was simply stating that they were compared, and Northstar performed better. They do both use Thin Plate Pure Lead technology, which is what makes them both superior to regular AGM batteries.

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
More like comparing a limited Expy to a Platinum Expy. Mini to BMW would be a stretch.

Fozzy, I highly respect your knowledge and dedication to sharing with everyone on this forum, I have many of your posts screenshot as it's information I know at some point will be useful. So I'm not being an ass or arguing with you, I'm just simply stating that a performance test was done and Northstar came out on top, I should state that it in NO WAY blew Odyssey out of the water, it was quite close, which is why I said they are both superior to regular AGM. Being made by the same company does not mean they are made the same, which was my only point on Mini vs Rolls.

I bought the Northstar for my boat after doing A LOT of research for my boat stereo. I had 3 group 31's for the stereo and a group 24 for starting. I had all Wetsounds gear, 3 10" subs 2 REV10 tower speakers, 8 6.5's running off 4 amps off of the 3 Northstar batteries. They would run all day with absolutely no problems. They were completely separate from the in boat electrical, so I had a shore charger that I used to charge when I got home. I used a Victron BVS2 to monitor them underway and could see every type of information that is useful.
I contacted Northstar about the charge and float levels to find out exactly what voltages they recommend since my charger allowed custom charge characteristics, and they were actually slightly different than the normal AGM values that came preprogrammed in the AGM setting on my charger, (ProNautic 1250p).

Once again Fozzy, both great batteries, I knew the Odyssey name when started researching, was actually searching for Odyssey in google when I found the test, which led me to Northstar. Also, Odyssey wasn't available off the shelf anywhere around me, the Northstar were distributed by a company that had a store a couple hours away (I'm in rural Manitoba Canada).