battery warning light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Neither of my Expeditions can go a month without the battery being dead.

-- Chuck
That's no good... Just saying. My 07 will sit for months without being touched now that my 17 is on the road. I get in and it will fire right up without any issues/lights etc. That's at 215k on the clock too.

OP
OP
Z

Zellerj

Reaction score
The alternator is controlled by the pcm now. The signal that is going back, if there is one, is telling it that it isn't charging. Therefore you have a battery light on.

Which type of load tester did you use on the battery?

Below is a picture of my load tester.

Update: I hooked my battery to an external charger and started the car. After a minute or two the battery light came on. Previously I had said that the light stayed off, but I guess I did not run the truck long enough for it to come on.

load tester.jpg

Last edited:

swrmerle

Reaction score
Check the terminal for the small wire on the positive post of the battery. That wire leads to the fuse panel, and a loose connection can cause the computer to read that as a weak battery.

I recently had a similar problem with my '15 Expedition. The light came on intermittently. Voltage always looked good, both while running and off. I had the battery and charging system checked, and everything tested fine. One day, the light came on before I left the driveway, so I decided to check it out. When I opened the hood, I could see a few melted spots and a small amount of smoke coming from the red rubber terminal cover for the battery. That small wire terminal was blazing hot. I traced the wire to the fuse panel. Once it cooled, I could turn the nut with just my fingers. I tightened the nut, and haven't had a battery light since.

file-18.jpeg

OP
OP
Z

Zellerj

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, but those wire connections, and the negative / ground connections are tight and clean.

I have a date with the Port Clinton, Ohio Ford dealership on Wednesday to reflash the PCM because of a warranty issue with the output speed sensor. Perhaps that will fix my battery warning light. They will try to figure it out in any event. I will report back.

Jim

OP
OP
Z

Zellerj

Reaction score
The Port Clinton Ford dealership hooked my 2012 5.4 L expedition to their computer and saw a fault for a broken wire coming from the power distribution box. They spliced in a new wire and for $108 my light is no longer on. I could not see what wire they fixed because I was not allowed to watch the technician, When I looked at home, I found some new black tape but did not want to undo this to observe the fix. Hope this helps someone.