beefing up rear suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kruzer

Reaction score
I have a 98 xlt. I'm going to be pulling a horse trailer soon and was wondering if there was something I could do to raise or even out the truck when it's hitched. I pull a camper but use the weight bars to even it out. I'd like to go another way with this. A nieghbor has a EB and when he hitches up, his truck evens out. Is there a after market airbag kit for this to make it similar to his EB?

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
What kind of bars are we talking about?If you alredy
have the distrbuting set up why would you not use it?
all you need is the trailer mounts and some time to reajust.
There is a diffence between weight carring and weight distributing

Im going to turn this over to the towing guru Chuck S

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Your buddy's Eddie Bauer has the air suspension which levels the truck to the eye. Doesn't do a thing to relieve the rear axle overload, or put weight back on the front axle so the truck will steer. He needs to switch off and get a Weight Distribution Hitch.

I deliberately ordered my '07 Expedition withOUT the self leveling suspension. (1) Something else to go wrong and (2) doesn't help a bit when towing my camper -- in fact it disguises a dangerous rear axle/suspension overload! In the Expedition the only good use for this is hauling 8 passengers -- if they're NFL linemen, maybe. 8 mere mortals won't make the truck out of level.

I'm using the Equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch for our camper -- the name says it all. Works with modern electric or archaic surge brakes.

-- Chuck

Last edited:

Tom Nugler

Reaction score
I think we missed some key info. How big's the trailer, it's weight, the tongue weight and capacity of the receiver.
I use a WD hitch on my trailers. Even the small one with 460 lbs of tongue weight. IMHO they just feel better while towing.
As far as airbags go, AirLift comes to mind. Think they have been around a long time. Might be a better solution than fitting an extra leaf or messing around with bolt on helper springs. Might also work with an EB with air suspension and a solid rear axle.

Tom.

OP
OP
K

Kruzer

Reaction score
Originally posted by Tom Nugler
I think we missed some key info. How big's the trailer, it's weight, the tongue weight and capacity of the receiver.
I use a WD hitch on my trailers. Even the small one with 460 lbs of tongue weight. IMHO they just feel better while towing.
As far as airbags go, AirLift comes to mind. Think they have been around a long time. Might be a better solution than fitting an extra leaf or messing around with bolt on helper springs. Might also work with an EB with air suspension and a solid rear axle.

Tom.

I do have a class 3 hitch and pull a 4000 lb camper with it. It's not so much the weight or maybe it does, it's the keeping the horse trailer and truck level to each other. The trailer is around 2800 and the horse is 1300. Perhaps using the weight dist. I have and get the brackets for the trailer would be the way to go.
Thanks to all the replies :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire