2015 towing, ride height, suspensions, etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jms1425

Reaction score
Hello, all, and thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.... I have a few questions, all of which are related to the rear end suspension. I read through this thread: https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...on-ride-height-and-suspension-upgrades.39194/ , discussed things with my mechanic, and still feel a bit confused as to how to proceed.

I have a 2015 XLT with the towing package, which I bought about a year ago. As it sits on my driveway in a level position, I measured from the ground to the top of the wheel well (thru the center of the wheel), and got approximately 36" in the front, and 35" in the rear. All 4 tires are the same size and age, rotated regularly.

Q1: Is it normal for the rear to be an inch lower than the front?

When I hitch my camper, including a weight distribution hitch, the rear sinks a bit more, even after I adjusted the wdh a couple times. The "sag" is not real bad, but I'd like the truck to sit more level than it does, especially when hitched up but also in general, so I feel like I should bolster the rear suspension. The thread I linked above seems to favor Bilstein shocks for this sort of thing, but my mechanic and I can't decide between the 4600s and the 5100s. This is because 1) I want to raise the rear end a bit to make it sit level with the front, and 2) I know the 4600s will provide "standard ride height", but I don't know if the truck is currently sitting at standard ride height or if it is sagging a bit (it's got 99k miles, after all); 3) I also know the 5100s can give an inch or two of added height, but I am concerned about the effect on ride quality, especially when I don't have the camper hitched up (which is most of the time I drive it) as well as whether the extra cost for the 5100s is necessary given my question regarding 4600s and whatever "standard ride height" is on the truck. So...

Q2: Should I get the 4600s or the 5100s (plus springs, mounts, etc), or something else altogether, like a KYB complete strut (which was also mentioned in the thread I linked above)?

I'm not looking to "lift" the truck, per se... If the 1 inch difference in the rear is "normal", then maybe I just need to stiffen / strengthen the rear suspension to better accommodate the camper, and the 4600s would work. Or maybe the 4600s will add an inch AND strengthen the rear, because the truck is sagging a bit in the rear and the 4600s would return it to standard ride height, which would be an inch higher in the rear. Or maybe I need the 5100s to add the inch or so in the rear and provide greater strength - but is that going to make the ride too harsh? Or maybe a different product altogether is better.

Sorry if this is too long or "noobish". This is NOT my area of expertise.... lol

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You didn't provide a tongue weight or WDH type. The manual says 50 percent front axle load restoration. On many WDH hitches you can tilt the ball down to increase the amount of weight redistributed, but this may vary by hitch type. If the front goes up by 1 inch when you load the ball, it should go back down by 1/2 inch with the WDH hooked up. After you get it configured correctly, I suggest visiting a scale to make sure everything is loaded properly.

OP
OP
J

jms1425

Reaction score
I'm really more interested in the suspension aspect in terms of the ride height when unloaded -- that is, the rear being lower than the front -- and how to address that, while at the same time strengthening the rear end for towing so that the rear doesn't go down further when hitched. Is it normal for the rear to be an inch lower than the front on this truck?

If that's normal, than the 4600s won't lift the rear end any since they are for "standard ride height". If the rear being lower is NOT normal, than the 4600s would help that, again, since they are for normal ride height. The 4600s or the 5100s are both stiffer than OEM so either would help the towing situation.

Am I correct in all this? And is there something other than the Bilsteins that would be a good choice?

Tongue weight of my camper is 590 lbs and I have a Husky Centerline TS wdh.

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 5100s have an adjustable spring perch that can be used to adjust the ride height. They're stiffer and will work for vehicles with a lift. The 4600 is intended to be a drop in replacement for OEM struts and will not help with leveling the vehicle.

The rear drop is normal. Stiffer springs that don't drop as much mean a harsher ride. The struts are there to dampen the motion of the spring, not to prevent sag. They control height by raising or lowering the position of the spring. The WDH will bring the rear back up slightly by distributing weight between the axles. If the rear is still low when you hook up the WDH, add more washers to the head. I have a Centerline. I think I have six washers. The manual spells out the maximum number.