Belt squeak when shifting at WOT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stang99gtv8

Reaction score
So in my 03 expy, the only time I ever hear what sound like a belt squeak is when I am at wide open throttle and it shifts to the next gear. Doesn't matter what gear it's going to, just as long as it's shifting while I floor it. Any idea why it would do this? Doesn't seem to effect anything in the shift itself being smooth or not, doesn't seem to effect performance, just makes a noise. If it's normal or no big deal, I won't worry about it since it's done it for the 40k miles I've had it, but figured I'd ask if it's something I should be concerned about.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a programmer installed?

Get a Goodyear Gatorback serpetine belt installed, and it'll stop doing it :)

OP
OP
S

stang99gtv8

Reaction score
Do you have a programmer installed?

Get a Goodyear Gatorback serpetine belt installed, and it'll stop doing it :)

Do not have a programmer installed. So i assume it's just the serpentine belt slightly loose? i guess with it approaching 100k miles i should prob just change it anyways.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea. Usually, the problem occurs when you have a programmer and you adjust the shift pressure and go WOT. I'd says it's more the surface is "slick", so it's slipping.