Best case scenario for DTC P0741

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe a decrease in fuel consumption? I feel like when I have taken off, a time or two, the RPMs sped up faster than the gas? No stalling, nothing else.

Should I should just leave this alone or let them check it out in case?

The light has not come on in about a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you tell if your TC is locking or not? Thats what the solenoid controls.

OP
OP
J

Jennifer Fradella

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the shop's honest, ask them to check it out. Ask them to check the fluid level too. If you tell them it hasn't given you trouble in several weeks, they'll probably check the fluid and look over the external wiring and plug for a few bucks if anything.

I doubt anyone would tear the thing apart on the basis of an intermittent problem that hasn't surfaced in awhile. You can relax.

-Eddie
Thanks for replying with possibilities.

You’ve been a better help at easing my mind for now.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What causes the P0741 code?
  • Faulty TCC
  • Faulty torque converter lockup solenoid
  • Internal short in the TCC solenoid
  • Wiring to the TCC solenoid that is damaged
  • Faulty valve body
  • Faulty Transmission Control Module (TCM)
  • Faulty Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor
  • Damage of the wiring harness to the transmission
  • Restricted hydraulic passages from dirty transmission fluid

Never found anywhere stating low fluid would cause this. Wouldn't hurt to change fluid and keep your fingers crossed.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Transmission issues can be so hard to diagnose in these vehicles. I was having erratic shifting and quirky behavior and it was a wheel bearing, yes that's right a wheel bearing. My mechanic explained how the abs sensor was giving a squirly signal and until it locked itself out the ECM was making my tans act up. Been better ever since. I was just watching a. FordTechmakuloco video and he says you should have the transmission memory deleted on these trucks after a wheel bearing replacement to relearn the shift points.... my point is ANYTHING can throw off these transmissions lol.

OP
OP
J

Jennifer Fradella

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Transmission issues can be so hard to diagnose in these vehicles. I was having erratic shifting and quirky behavior and it was a wheel bearing, yes that's right a wheel bearing. My mechanic explained how the abs sensor was giving a squirly signal and until it locked itself out the ECM was making my tans act up. Been better ever since. I was just watching a. FordTechmakuloco video and he says you should have the transmission memory deleted on these trucks after a wheel bearing replacement to relearn the shift points.... my point is ANYTHING can throw off these transmissions lol.
Do you think it’s just trying to “adapt” to my driving? It didn’t appear to be driven much while the 2nd owner had it. Was retired military, living in a retirement home in Texas, then died.

OP
OP
J

Jennifer Fradella

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What causes the P0741 code?
  • Faulty TCC
  • Faulty torque converter lockup solenoid
  • Internal short in the TCC solenoid
  • Wiring to the TCC solenoid that is damaged
  • Faulty valve body
  • Faulty Transmission Control Module (TCM)
  • Faulty Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor
  • Damage of the wiring harness to the transmission
  • Restricted hydraulic passages from dirty transmission fluid

Never found anywhere stating low fluid would cause this. Wouldn't hurt to change fluid and keep your fingers crossed.
I had the transmission fluid changed already. Wrench came on that evening. I have no idea if it’s ever come on prior to that bec I had just bought it.

I prob should have waiting to get all that maintenance done until I had driven it a little longer, rather than the day I drove it home. Really aggravated with myself now for doing that so soon.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the transmission fluid changed already. Wrench came on that evening. I have no idea if it’s ever come on prior to that bec I had just bought it.

I prob should have waiting to get all that maintenance done until I had driven it a little longer, rather than the day I drove it home. Really aggravated with myself now for doing that so soon.

I believe your truck requires MERCON LV tranny fluid. These trannys are highly sensitive to fluid type, and if the wrong fluid is used the effects can be strange. Check your receipt and make sure they used the correct fluid. And by wrong fluid, I mean anything other than Motorcraft MERCON LV.

OP
OP
J

Jennifer Fradella

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you tell if your TC is locking or not? Thats what the solenoid controls.

Idk how I would be able to tell. How would I be able to tell? It’s driving normally when the light appears.

OP
OP
J

Jennifer Fradella

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe your truck requires MERCON LV tranny fluid. These trannys are highly sensitive to fluid type, and if the wrong fluid is used the effects can be strange. Check your receipt and make sure they used the correct fluid. And by wrong fluid, I mean anything other than Motorcraft MERCON LV.
They did use Mercon LV.

I did also bring it back to the same shop 500 miles later bec I did feel some kind of misfire after taking off (a handful of times) between 1250-1600 RPMs that had not happened prior to the transmission being serviced. (The green wrench appeared right after the 1st time I brought it to them...the very next day as I was driving on the interstate, in the pouring down rain, on top the spillway. But, idk if the light had ever appeared to the prior owner, or if it was just time for it to appear). Who knows.

At this time, they sucked the fluid back out and added a friction modifier, then refilled it with Mercon LV. It has not had that misfire feeling since.

09d9a4fdd8f1cd093ee33cb975b91758.jpg

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Bring it to a transmission shop and have them change the fluid. There should be no "friction modifier" in it and it can cause damage. That can well be your problem. Find shops that know what they are doing. These people are hacks.