Best case scenario for DTC P0741

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The first thing i would do is check history which would mean talking to the gentleman you bought from. Find out if his brother ever had issues like this. If not, then the other thing to look into is what fluid did the servicing shop use. These transmissions use mercon 5 semi synthetic. The older fluids don't mix with the new ones. Fluid level is also a factor as was previously stated. Did the servicing shop drop the pan and change the filter? If so,they could have bungled a connector for the tcc solenoid,or loosened the connector to the outside of the trans too.The latter is not likely as you would have other issues within the trans as well. Although flushing the trans fluid is good,i always dropped and cleaned the pan and changed the filter. A good trans shop should have a service tool to test the solenoids. They basically put power to them and listen for an audible click. If i remember correctly,the solenoids are a pack and not individual. Might be an expensive venture to repair,parts can be pricey. If it's just the solenoid pack,at least the trans wouldn't have to be removed. Worse case would be the torque converter lock up itself which would mean pulling the trans to replace the torque. I would lean towards a wiring or fluid issue if it just started. Should be a relatively easy fix. And yes,i am an ex transmission man,hence the name. Hope this helps,good luck. Keep us posted. Robin.

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can tell if the torque is locking up,but it can be very hard. You'd need to get onto a long open road,and start from a stop and watch the tach as you're accelerating. Not hard accelerating,just normal driving from a stop. You can actually see the trans shifting gears as the tach drops at each shift. The last drop after going through all the gears would be the torque converter lock up. Being out of the game for 12 years, i'm not sure of how many gears are in these new fangled trannys. I believe they are six speeds,so you should see seven rpm drops. I know i'll get flak for this statement,but you might ask at a Ford dealer too. I had an issue with my 07 having a bump downshift coming to a stop,and it was a software update that cured it. Go figure,new fangled stuff..

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mercon LV only in your transmission. I doubt the friction modifier they added created any negative effects on yours. Mine was Mercon SP which I changed over and it's shifted better but I've gotten a weird clunk on downshifts coming to a stop. May be on a slow descent on the way out who knows.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jennifer Fradella

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can tell if the torque is locking up,but it can be very hard. You'd need to get onto a long open road,and start from a stop and watch the tach as you're accelerating. Not hard accelerating,just normal driving from a stop. You can actually see the trans shifting gears as the tach drops at each shift. The last drop after going through all the gears would be the torque converter lock up. Being out of the game for 12 years, i'm not sure of how many gears are in these new fangled trannys. I believe they are six speeds,so you should see seven rpm drops. I know i'll get flak for this statement,but you might ask at a Ford dealer too. I had an issue with my 07 having a bump downshift coming to a stop,and it was a software update that cured it. Go figure,new fangled stuff..
So a little while ago,today, as I was taking off from a stop, it looked like the RPMs shuddered briefly around 1500 again then drove as normal. What does that sound like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So a little while ago,today, as I was taking off from a stop, it looked like the RPMs shuddered briefly around 1500 again then drove as normal. What does that sound like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like your describing a normal upshift. There are six gears the truck runs through until it hits overdrive where the rpm will drop then rise again. Once in gear 6 that's the 2nd OD gear.

Atman246

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys,like i said before,it might be worth your while to ask at a ford dealer,or a very reputable transmission shop that has the tester for the solenoids. JExpedition07,what you're describing with bump shift coming to a stop is exactly what i had and a software update cured it. It's an easy thing for me to say cause i have a friend that is a tech at a ford dealer who told me about it. I believe it was a service bulletin for our vintage of expy's.

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was just watching a. FordTechmakuloco video and he says you should have the transmission memory deleted on these trucks after a wheel bearing replacement to relearn the shift points.... my point is ANYTHING can throw off these transmissions lol.
How is this done? I just replaced both front bearings/hubs. Which FordTechMakuloco video was it? I don't remember him mentioning that on the bearings video, but maybe I missed it.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How is this done? I just replaced both front bearings/hubs. Which FordTechMakuloco video was it? I don't remember him mentioning that on the bearings video, but maybe I missed it.
Disconnect the negative battery cable. Install a jumper between the negative battery cable you just removed and the positive battery terminal. MAKE SURE THE NEGATIVE CABLE AND THE JUMPER DO NOT TOUCH GROUND!!! The jumper will ensure all the capacitors in the system will discharge, and this clears all the parameters in the engine and tranny control systems.

Wait about 15 mins, remove the jumper and re-install the negative cable, then perform the system calibration procedure. Do you know what that is?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It wasn't in the bearing video itself but in another one, I'll look for it.

OP
OP
J

Jennifer Fradella

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wrench and engine light came on last night for the first one since this post. Took it back to auto zone and it pulled the same P0741 code. Engine light stayed on both times I drove the truck today. Dropped it off at the transmission shop this evening and noticed the engine light had been off. Crazy. Hope this gets squared away soon so I can just drive by now, without worrying.

Jen

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze