Best Drive Setting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JSRocket

Reaction score
I own a 2003 XLT 5.4 L 4WD. I live in the northeast. This weekend we had snow for the first time. I left the truck in the A4WD setting as the roads were packed with snow. The snow is now melting so many of the roads are clear (bare pavement). However, there are many local roads still snow covered. Should I switch back and forth between 2WD and A4WD as needed? Would there be any negative effect of leaving it in A4WD all winter?

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't believe there would be any problem leaving it in A4WD.

My 98 Navigator only had A4WD, 4HI, 4LO, so technically it was always on A4WD (to my knowledge).

Hopefully the experts will chime in as well.

Karl in MN

Reaction score
Well I'm no expert but I say leave it in A4WD, at least for now. You may burn through a little more gas but the safety would be worth it to me. It sure as heck won't damage the drivetrain. We can debate leaving it in A4WD all the time but I personally put it back in 2WD when most/all the roads are clear. If there is even a hint of issues with the roads we turn it back on.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found the following excerpt from Autoworld.com. It is for a '99 Exby, but I think it applies to the '03 as well:

"A4WD, in which Control Trac automatically selects between two-wheel drive and four-wheel drive as needed. The transfer case monitors drive-shaft speed and reports the onset of rear slippage. Should rear slippage occur, a computer-controlled electromagnetic clutch engages to add torque to the front wheel. If the rear wheels regain grip, the clutch automatically disengages. When slippery conditions persist at speeds below 35 mph, Control Trac keeps front drive engaged for five minutes or until vehicle speed exceeds 45 mph. This mode can be engaged at any time with the vehicle in motion."

In any case, I am of the opionion that if you don't need to use it, don't. It simply represents wear and tear, and in this case, on a clutched system. If you think you might need it, use it, but otherwise, leave it off. During the warm spring/summer/fall seasons, use it once in a while, as well as the full 4WD to keep things lubricated.

Hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1