Best lube, IMO for Power running boards is...............

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JExpeditions07 says they freeze shut. Running it through a car wash, below freezing will guarantee that. I would pull fuse Dec-March.
That chain lube will displace water. Do that before the car wash and no problem. I didn't have any problem with it last winter - well it was the last month of winter...

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
That chain lube will displace water. Do that before the car wash and no problem. I didn't have any problem with it last winter - well it was the last month of winter...
I use chain lube on my Schwinn bicycle. I got caught in rain once, and that stuff basically washed off. I had to re-spray chain(after only a couple of weeks),it was so dry. Besides, who wants to mess around out in the cold, spraying the underside of a vehicle? Let them break under warranty. Ford will have to fix them.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just disable them in the menu until winter is over. These trucks don’t sit so high that they are critical to have deployed. My 5’ petite wife gets in and out no problem when I have them disabled (in the retracted position).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just disable them in the menu until winter is over. These trucks don’t sit so high that they are critical to have deployed. My 5’ petite wife gets in and out no problem when I have them disabled (in the retracted position).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have a bad knee so I really need to use them otherwise getting in can be painful if I twist my knee wrong getting in.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it’s possible to disable them to stay deployed isn’t it? The proper way to handle it is to take the time to clear ice build up from both sides before you enter the vehicle, most people don’t spend the time to do that and run into problems down the road.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After months of driving off-road and having my running boards turned off, I decided it was time to clean them up and lubricate them. I spent the weekend detailing and waxing my truck (she loves being dirty...). Summers here in northern Nevada are dusty and autumn brings rain, snow and MUD. After turning the running boards on, they creaked but opened with no problem. I sprayed the hinge joints with WD40 and it has worked well. I will keep them auto deployed for a while to work in the lubrication and re-apply.

A fabulous vehicle both on- and off-road!! I love it! I will send some photos around soon.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered a can of the lube that @jeff kushner mentioned in the original post from Amazon. It will be here tomorrow then I'll go out and lube all of the pivot point that I can see.