Best quality & ride tires for 2019 Expedition Limited 2WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rossue

Reaction score
Are these even available in the appropriate tire sizes and load ratings for a Ford Expedition?

Michelin are good tires, and in my experience, perform consistently across its entire life.

However, I think for 275/55/20 the Michelin tires are only load and speed rated around 113T.

The Continental TerrainContact HT is a well reviewed tire and is available in 117H so it has a slightly higher load rating and speed rating. This may be important if someone were planning on towing/trailering or carrying a bit more cargo.

I could have sworn I saw the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate (load range E) tire available in 275/55/20 at some point. While the load range E tires ride a bit rougher (even at the same tire pressure), they will last longer and this particular tire is rated for three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF). This would have been my pick if someone wanted better stability while towing and didn't live in a climate that requires dedicated snow tires.
I tow a 4200# TT and had the Michelin Defenders on my Yukon. They ride nice, yet didn't wear very well. Had one set warrantied and then traded for Expedition.

Just replaced the OEM Toyo Open Country at 36K; tire dealer said they would go another 5K. Bought a set of the Continental Terrain Contact and like them so far. Great price too after rebate: $760; Michelins seem overpriced.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S II, loved them, elected you replace at 45,000 miles with 4/32 tread image.jpg remaining.
Replaced with Pirelli Scorpion A/S Plus III.
As mentioned in prior post, the III’s provide rim protection on my 22” wheels. You can get an idea from attached photo (sorry, truck is not washed!). The Pirelli’s are smooth and quiet. I am very happy with the Pirelli Plus III’s.
The Michelin defenders were almost $80 per tire more. While I believe the Defenders would give more useful wear life, just felt they were overpriced.
I owned a gen 3 Expedition with 20” rims. Bought the Cross Contacts. They were less stable towing, and lasted about 35k miles with mostly city driving. They also entrapped more little pebbles in the tread pattern. Otherwise they performed well, including ride comfort and noise. Continental has likely improved design since I owned, perhaps 6 years ago.

Rezolution

Reaction score
Michelin Defender LTX based on a few of the recommendations here. They are a bit louder than the Michelin Primacys that were previously on the car but other than that they are superior in every way. I would never get any other tire unless they stop making them ... I even put a set of them on my wife's car and she has no complaints.

Bmanxx13

Reaction score
I have Michelin Defender LTX M/S and they perform very well. They're quiet, and provide a comfortable ride. Recently they did really well in snow/ice conditions.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tow a 4200# TT and had the Michelin Defenders on my Yukon. They ride nice, yet didn't wear very well. Had one set warrantied and then traded for Expedition.

Just replaced the OEM Toyo Open Country at 36K; tire dealer said they would go another 5K. Bought a set of the Continental Terrain Contact and like them so far. Great price too after rebate: $760; Michelins seem overpriced.
Are they A/T or H/T Continental Terrain Contact? Where'd you get that price of $760?! that's pretty much half price...

Edit: looks like the price is dependent on size and rating. I was looking at 285/60r20 which are E rated, currently for the A/T at 420 bucks a piece!

Last edited:

m3bs

Reaction score
I had a local tire shop tell me that they would only mount the LTX M/S2, since the Defender has a lower speed rating than OEM. "T" vs "H", or 118 mph vs 130. I seriously doubt that I will ever challenge those limits in the Expedition.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all I need to put new tires on my 2019 Ford Expedition Limited 2WD. I am looking for a good quality, quiet and comfortable riding tire. Any recommendations from you guys used on your expeditions? Thanks
I'm a big fan of the Michelin LTX Defender. Its predecessor, the LTX M/S2 was also a great tire. I've run these on 3 Gen 3 4X4 Expeditions in both Northeast and Southeast climates. The Pirellis are also good tires in Southeast / Non Winter environments, but I think the Michelins win out all around - summer, winter, around town, interstate and towing.