Best Roof Box for 2022 Expedition Limited Max

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justinmk

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Expedition Limited Max on the way in April. Looking for a roof box to put on it. I have the factory/Ford installed roof bars coming with the vehicle. I'm looking at the Yakima CBX 18 or Thule Motion XT XL or XXL. Does anyone know how these would fit on the vehicle? Any suggestions from anyone?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have sunroof, the roof can't hold more than like 125 lbs If I remember the correct stat.

Put a carrier in the hitch....

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have sunroof, the roof can't hold more than like 125 lbs If I remember the correct stat.

Put a carrier in the hitch....

You are correct on weight capacity.

I have a yakima skybox for mine. It's the middle size... wish I would have got the longer one.

Gmas15

Reaction score
I have the thule motion xl. Fits great. No interference with the lift gate. and opens easily from both sides. Easy to mount.

APExpo

Reaction score
This is a Sonic XL (an older model) on my ’18 Max. I bought it for my old Grand Cherokee. I’d get a XXL if I was buying today. I’ve got their hitch box too. It’s nice but adds more length to an already long vehicle. I only use it as a last resort.
9B1EBBCF-79BF-4765-B637-184664562397.jpeg

2020ExpyPlatinum

Reaction score
I have the largest box that summit racing carried. The summit racing brand one.

I like it because it doesn't restrict the moonroof / sunroof and has more than enough storage capacity.

Only drawback is that it acts like an air brake and decreases the MPG slightly, but than again I didn't buy the most fuel efficient SUV in the first place.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a Thule Boxter, I don't think they make them anymore, but what is appealing about this model is the low profile height and deeper between bar storage so you are maximizing the space. The Expy is already tall and with a ski box eliminates all garage entry. But with the Boxter I have managed to squeak by a few.

JimW

Reaction score
I've had Yakima and Thule. I recommend Thule Motion XT. and have it on my Max.
Go with the XXL. Mine cracked from an extreme wind gust while it was open and they sent me a new one under warranty. They may be on sale around the 4th.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remember, you only have maybe 1500 lbs total payload, including driver... 6 passengers averaging 175 lbs, and there's 1000 lbs without luggage...