Best Tire option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stricnine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got 56k miles out of my last set of Dynapro AT2’s. Rotated every 6k with my oil change. So count me in as a fan of Hankook.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got 56k miles out of my last set of Dynapro AT2’s. Rotated every 6k with my oil change. So count me in as a fan of Hankook.
I didn’t mind mine either and would have kept them if it weren’t for a plug in one and a chunk of sidewall missing on another. Replacing at 21k miles.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All very good to know, sounds like we have similar driving habits. However, at the tire shop this morning I found out their tire load rating of 110 wasn’t high enough for my Navigator, it requires a tire load measurement of 114. So I ordered the Yokohama YK-HTX instead. Hoping for good results as I have always rode on Michelins myself.

Yeah, the Expedition is the same way. I decided to go with it anyway. We do not tow with ours, so I figured it’d be ok. ‍♂️

Depends on the size

My Defenders are 116T @ 265/70r18

PS note that load ratings are dependent on PSI, a lower rated tire inflated to 40 psi will have higher actual weight carrying capacity vs. a higher rated inflated to 32... and as to LT built for 60-70 psi, some may actually be dangerous if inflated to 30-something like a P tire

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I asked my tire guys today about the Michelin LTX AT/2 tires - I had the P version on my 2006 Expedition and really like them, especially in the winter. I am thinking of putting the LT version on my 2018 Expedition, but the guys there don't recommend it. I don't buy his explanation that the extra weight of a 10-ply tire will wear out or damage the Expy's undercarriage - what does he think this is, a RAV4? :)

But, now I'm undecided - I tow a 7000lb+ trailer maybe 10 times per year in the mountains, and I was thinking the stiffer LT tires would help control sway. I expect to lose a bit of quiet and ride quality, but I don't know how much. I didn't find the P version to be much louder but the 2006 wasn't nearly as quiet as the 2018...

Any opinions on putting LT tires on the Expy?

Tech Info on the difference between P and LT: rating 114T vs 123/120R, weight 41 lbs vs. 53 lbs, max load 2365@51psi vs. 3415@80psi

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a set of the Michelin Premier LTX’s sitting in the garage waiting for the factory set to wear out. Supposedly the best 22” for the vehicle though I’ve been satisfied with the Hankooks.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I asked my tire guys today about the Michelin LTX AT/2 tires - I had the P version on my 2006 Expedition and really like them, especially in the winter. I am thinking of putting the LT version on my 2018 Expedition, but the guys there don't recommend it. I don't buy his explanation that the extra weight of a 10-ply tire will wear out or damage the Expy's undercarriage - what does he think this is, a RAV4? :)

But, now I'm undecided - I tow a 7000lb+ trailer maybe 10 times per year in the mountains, and I was thinking the stiffer LT tires would help control sway. I expect to lose a bit of quiet and ride quality, but I don't know how much. I didn't find the P version to be much louder but the 2006 wasn't nearly as quiet as the 2018...

Any opinions on putting LT tires on the Expy?

Tech Info on the difference between P and LT: rating 114T vs 123/120R, weight 41 lbs vs. 53 lbs, max load 2365@51psi vs. 3415@80psi

I put E rated 10 ply LT tires on my 16’ F-150 and it drastically helped the sway pulling my 6.5K boat compared to the stock tires. The Expy is just an F-150 with a shell. I put LT tires on my 19’ and it also helped it out. It will never be as stable as a solid axle rear end. I also went to a 35” tire on 20” wheels on both vehicles. Ride and fuel mileage take a hit with the heavier tire. The 35” Nitto Terra Grappler G2’s On the Expedition are a 121R at 3195lbs@65PSI and weight 64lbs. They make the same tire in a F 125R that’s 3640@80PSI. Weighing almost 70lbs. We will see how the lighter duty fairs over the next few years. The ride is amazing on them so I hope they hold up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MonkeyBrains

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have really mixed feelings over the Hankook Dynapro HT2’’s that came on my ‘18 LTD Max. They have been great for fair weather use and still look really good after 30K miles. Unfortunately they absolutely suck with snow or ice. Have not been a fan of the 22” wheels that came stock either. Anyway, got some mildly sloppy winter weather the other day and decided I’ve got enough out of these Hankooks and want to move on.

Want to put 20’s on the Expy, looking at the Fuel Blitz wheel in 20x9 and probably the 20mm offset. It comes wither an offset of 20 or 1, so... A few of the tires I’m really considering are 305/55 R20 and I think they will fit just fine. Don’t want to do a lift/ level kit right now. Still exploring that option for the future. Really the tires are 1” larger diameter and 3/4” wider than what came stock, so I’m thinking they’ll be fine. Just not sure about the wheels and offset and I keep second guessing myself.

pauldevz

Reaction score
Replaced the Dynapros from my recent experience. Driving a 100km daily commute, halfway sudden weird vibration at 120km/hr. Slowed down to 100 and still vibrating. Immediately sent the truck to a tire shop. They found a lump from outside the thread area and told me to replace it as soon as possible. So I did. Done 63Tkms with them. Replaced with Pirelli STR. Noticed much smoother ride so far.

Here are some photos of the Dynapros.

Screenshot 2019-10-26 at 5.36.19 pm.png Screenshot 2019-10-26 at 5.36.35 pm.pngScreenshot 2019-10-26 at 5.38.16 pm.png

Last edited:

Rossue

Reaction score
Have Toyo Open Country on new 2019 XLT. Had the Michelins on my 2013 Yukon to help with ride. They were a big improvement over the OEM Bridgestones, however the first set wore prematurely and I dis get some credit from Michelin for a new set. Thought about swapping them onto the new Expy yet found the rears were already at 6/32. I do tow a 21' Escape travel trailer, however keep inflation up and rotate. Am curious how the Toyos do as so far they are quiet and smooth.