Best tires pressure for long trip high way drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
2005Expedition

2005Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
this is the tires, I take to the tires shop and both say its wrong kind of tires for my truck, those tires are usually for HD 2500 truck , but they both say stay at 35psi. Im confused

Attachments

• photo(10).jpg
    photo(10).jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 56
  • photo(11).jpg
    photo(11).jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can't tell by the picture, but at least they're acknowledging the fact that those tires are the "wrong" rating for your Expedition. It's not the end of the world and if inflated correctly you are ok with the ride then it really doesn't matter. I don't however know why they would say to stay at 35PSI as they should know better. 35PSI is for the original rated tire that came on the truck, not for those.

Does the tire have a PLY Rating? My guess is it's a 10PLY. 50PSI Minimum! My work truck comes with stock 10 PLY tires and has a TMPS system, if the pressure drops below 70 PSI in back and/or 60 up front it goes nuts. It's for your safety!

OP
OP
2005Expedition

2005Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can't tell by the picture, but at least they're acknowledging the fact that those tires are the "wrong" rating for your Expedition. It's not the end of the world and if inflated correctly you are ok with the ride then it really doesn't matter. I don't however know why they would say to stay at 35PSI as they should know better. 35PSI is for the original rated tire that came on the truck, not for those.

Does the tire have a PLY Rating? My guess is it's a 10PLY. 50PSI Minimum! My work truck comes with stock 10 PLY tires and has a TMPS system, if the pressure drops below 70 PSI in back and/or 60 up front it goes nuts. It's for your safety!

I dont think it had any PLY rating, I dont see it say any where on tires. I do google search and yes 35 psi is too low since its LT rating

http://www.toyotires.ca/sites/default/files/loadinflationtable.pdf

this is the tires, I had in now

http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/suv/sheet/scorpion_str.html

Last edited:

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You got it! I have 8PLY Load range D tires on now and run them at 45psi, their max is 60, not the most comfortable but when I put them on the tire shop warned me to never go below 40, I was happy to hear them say that though :)

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP: PLEASE do not run anything lower than 50PSI in your tires, 46-47 at BARE minimum, yes it's going to be a bit more uncomfortable but you're not running the stock rated tire and therefore need to deal with those consequences. Upside is it gives you the possibility to have less rolling resistance and therefore slightly better mileage.

Are you referring to the temperature rating?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't find that anywhere on my tires. The only thing I can find is Max inflation 50 PSI. I have 275/60/R20 Cooper Zeon LTZ Tires and I can't find any specs on Cooper's website.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure the single letter rating applies mainly to LT (light truck) tires, see this site here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55

Though with a max pressure of 50 psi my guess is you have load range C or 6 ply tires in which case you can run the recommended 35 psi cold per Ford's specification as that pressure is acceptable for that tire.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
u9ynazab.jpgge8u6ygu.jpg

Your markings may differ slightly per manufacturer but to be sold in the US they need to conform to load rating standards...

Last edited: