Better gas mileage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Letting off the throttle earlier when coming to a stop is a good idea as well. No use wasting gas being on the throttle only to have to brake harder. Saves on fuel and your brakes. I feel that does more to save on fuel than being poky slow on the pull out. I gained about 2 mpg local by not being as hard on the throttle pulling out, by letting off the throttle earlier when needing to stop, and not getting on it as hard when going up a hill or needing to speed up.

Also on a recent trip to FL from PA I did some testing and found out that 65 mph was optimal for fuel mileage on the highway. Going up to 70 cost me 1 mpg, and going up to 75 cost another mpg. I drive a 2013 EL and it was loaded with 5 people, luggage, and 4 bikes on the back (vacation trip).
@Johnathan M My 04 gets about 17 hwy, 14 city, with my chill driving style the way you were saying. The only things that matter noticeably for mpg are driving style, tire pressure, highway speed, and if I have my roof rack on. I was surprised my mpg did not change when I installed 33s (35% heavier than stock tires), or later with a modest lift, or when hauling lots of people or crap. What mileage are you getting?

Johnathan M

Reaction score
@Johnathan M My 04 gets about 17 hwy, 14 city, with my chill driving style the way you were saying. The only things that matter noticeably for mpg are driving style, tire pressure, highway speed, and if I have my roof rack on. I was surprised my mpg did not change when I installed 33s (35% heavier than stock tires), or later with a modest lift, or when hauling lots of people or crap. What mileage are you getting?
On my trip to FL I had a full load. 5 people, luggage for 2 week vacation and the 4 bicycles on a steel hitch carrier. At 65 mph I was getting about 17.2. At 70 about 16.2, and at 75 about 15.2. Without that heavy load I probably would have gotten better. It’s a 2013 EL, so it’s heavier than the standard length Expedition.

Around home (in PA with many hills) if I don’t have much extra weight, I can get 15-16 mpg driving the way I mentioned previously. Driving with a heavy foot it drops considerably.

BravoAlpha

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Endless post on forums like this regarding gas mileage. aside from diagnosing a problem…….It’s a large SUV. What did you think it was going to get?

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fuel economy on these is relative. It's a decent size and fairly heavy vehicle, paying for fuel to drive it is worth it to me. I drive a body on frame V8 powered and I accept the associated cost. I refuse to drive cars and I am terribly uncomfortable in my sons Ranger and those seats are pure torture.

As noted driving style can have a significant impact on fuel economy. I get 3-5mpg higher fuel economy than my wife in our Expedition. I also don't use the A/C as much as she does.

Will Bean

Reaction score
On my trip to FL I had a full load. 5 people, luggage for 2 week vacation and the 4 bicycles on a steel hitch carrier. At 65 mph I was getting about 17.2. At 70 about 16.2, and at 75 about 15.2. Without that heavy load I probably would have gotten better. It’s a 2013 EL, so it’s heavier than the standard length Expedition.

Around home (in PA with many hills) if I don’t have much extra weight, I can get 15-16 mpg driving the way I mentioned previously. Driving with a heavy foot it drops considerably.
I know from previous situations that "hyper-miling" works. (There are tons if tricks under that keyword in google). I am about as heavy on the gas as it gets. I hit 80mph before I'm out of on-ramp. My 06 Limited 5.4 4WD still gets 15mpg around here. Loaded with gear and 3 adults, I did a trip to VT and back in June and cruised at 80mph and got 17.1. I haven't tried to do better as long as it doesn't use more than a tank a week.