Better luck this time? 2020 traded for 2021

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2020ExpyPlatinum

Reaction score
With the deals going on and the equity I had in the used one we traded up to a 2021 platinum max and things are not getting off to a good start.

My wife wanted a particular white expedition max and with that being said there were only a handful left in the country.

The new addition to the family made it off the dealers lot, but I had noted the door is not aligned properly nor is the fuel fill door. The drivers door looks like it is open when it fully closed and the gas door looks like it is always open.

After 2 hours on the phone with Ford, it is going into the body shop on Friday to have some doors realigned and the gas door fixed since someone in Kentucky didn't do it in the first place.

Mechanically there is no rattle noise from the turbo waste gate actuators yet, transmissions seems to shift smoother, however the whistle from the drivers side mirror is still there just like on the 2020.

Overall my wife is pretty happy with the expedition line and she wanted a 2021, because she wasn't a fan of the 2022 updates.

One thing I would note is that if you have weather tech mud guards, I found that the mud guards actually rubbed the paint off on the rear bumpers where they sat when I removed them off the old expedition. The front mud guards didn't damage any part of the vehicle.

Once I get our brand new car back from the body shop I plan on ceramic coating the vehicle after performing the paint corrections and polishing.

For anyone who wants to know, it is night and day difference when you Ceramic coat our expeditions. Perform the compounding and polishing first and you will be amazed at the difference of the factory paint job before v.s. after. First thing I noticed was how easy it was for dirt and road grime to stick to this vehicle.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My pass rear door was a good 1/8 inch from closing. I think the dealer guy didn’t believe me when I booked taking it in. I’d seen several misaligned doors at all various corners of these when I was shopping. This was worst I’d encountered and it was a mail order bride so I couldnt just have it done before delivery.

bwoodard

Reaction score
My pass rear door was a good 1/8 inch from closing. I think the dealer guy didn’t believe me when I booked taking it in. I’d seen several misaligned doors at all various corners of these when I was shopping. This was worst I’d encountered and it was a mail order bride so I couldnt just have it done before delivery.
Did your dealer fix this issue? We have the exact issue with our 2021 expedition max and our incompetent dealer said it was within spec and refused to make any adjustments. It bothers me every time I walk by that door. The gap is larger and the door slightly sticks out to where you’d think it was not fully closed. For a vehicle this expensive, it should not look like a drunk person put the door on. Attached photos from both sides and the difference in alignment is pretty noticeable.

Attachments

• CF9C4BDB-9BCB-49F6-B09B-7B0E91906BF4.jpeg
    CF9C4BDB-9BCB-49F6-B09B-7B0E91906BF4.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 55
  • C6F6C85A-95A4-4D61-836A-4A09FC856D06.jpeg
    C6F6C85A-95A4-4D61-836A-4A09FC856D06.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I saw that door alignment issue on quite a few 3rd gens as well when I was shopping for mine years ago.

StephenPT

Reaction score
Once I get our brand new car back from the body shop I plan on ceramic coating the vehicle after performing the paint corrections and polishing.

For anyone who wants to know, it is night and day difference when you Ceramic coat our expeditions. Perform the compounding and polishing first and you will be amazed at the difference of the factory paint job before v.s. after. First thing I noticed was how easy it was for dirt and road grime to stick to this vehicle.
Which products do you recommend for ceramic coating?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I saw that door alignment issue on quite a few 3rd gens as well when I was shopping for mine years ago.

I ordered and bought a new 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4 - took delivery with 2 miles.

The left side of the hood was misaligned, with the rear edge of the hood lower than the fender.

The LF wheel opening molding was installed crooked on the fender and the molding on the lower LF fender (behind the wheel) was also installed crooked.

I’m convinced there is little if any assembly quality control at the Kentucky Truck Plant.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered and bought a new 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4 - took delivery with 2 miles.

The left side of the hood was misaligned, with the rear edge of the hood lower than the fender.

The LF wheel opening molding was installed crooked on the fender and the molding on the lower LF fender (behind the wheel) was also installed crooked.

I’m convinced there is little if any assembly quality control at the Kentucky Truck Plant.
Same thing on every 2015 and newer Suburban I’ve looked at so far. Nobody makes panels that line up anymore apparently.

OP
OP

2020ExpyPlatinum

Reaction score
Which products do you recommend for ceramic coating?
I use armor shield and couldn't be happier with their product. Just take the time to follow the write ups and get the car looking pristine before you hit it with the ceramic. I will post pictures before and after once they get our vehicle back to us and I have time to get it done.

I seriously couldn't believe the difference it made, my 2020 looked better than the brand new one side by side and the 2020 was dirty from driving 300+ miles to pick the new one up