Bigger tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deaconlab

Reaction score
New to this forum and have a question. What's the biggest tire I can put on a 16 inch wheel...7 inch width...without a lift? Expedition is a 2000 Police Intercepter. Thinking about 285/70 16's ??? Thanks in advance.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you crank torsion bars (free mod) you can probably fit 285/75r16 on if you use the stock rim... I know I had that combo on my 97 f150 on 16x8 rims

GDDYUP

Reaction score
if you crank torsion bars (free mod) you can probably fit 285/75r16 on if you use the stock rim... I know I had that combo on my 97 f150 on 16x8 rims

I ran a combo similar to this on my 03 F-150 Screw before I traded it for my 07 Expy EL Limited. I wrenched up the T-Bars up front to level everything out although I did have to clearence the lower front valence a little to keep the tires from rubbing. I cut out roughly 2 inches or so for clearence on both sides but you could hardly tell unless you had another truck sitting right next to it.

OP
OP
D

deaconlab

Reaction score
New wheels, bigger tires

Previously asked about tires and have since acquired a set of stock 17s with 7.5 width. What is the biggest tire any of you have actually used on this wheel. Looking for safety without having to raise anything. Thanks for your time and experiences! Wheels/tires will go on a 2000 awd Expedition.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Does anyone know for sure that the police version has the same suspension as stock? That could effect the outcome.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
never thought of that. i would imagine that if they did change anything, it wouldnt be much. does your police intercepter have the interceptor engine or 5.4?

OP
OP
D

deaconlab

Reaction score
Police Intercepter

The Expy has a 5.4....original motor blew so it was replaced w/a factory rebuild. Just got this vehicle...my first Expy. Has disk brakes on all four corners, front and rear sway bars. From what I've been told the police package has upgrades to the suspension??? Really don't have anything to compare it to.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 04 police package; I've been told the only difference in the SSV Expedition is the wiring... which I do not believe, but that's all I've been able to learn.