Bigger trans cooler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those 150 temps only apply to the first and maybe second gen expeditions. Anything with the 6 speed is designed to run at around 200 for everyday driving. They use a full synthetic fluid and the internals are different as well. The 6 speed is thermostatically (mechanically, not viscosity based) controlled and will not allow fluid to enter the cooler until around 185-190. A huge cooler on the 6 speed will keep you at the factory temp under a heavy load but it will not allow you to run any cooler.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Was waiting for someone to mention that, coolzzy... The 6 speeds are designed to run at an operating temperature that's high to some.

nightfly

Reanimator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed the transmission cooler that the 6.0l diesel uses.
What year and model did you use to order that? (and by anychance do you have the part number?) Expy's don't come with diesels here. And by any chance to you have any pic of it post installation? When I had my trans fluid changed, it looked like it was burning. So I don't want to have to do this twice, just going from a 5 row to a 7 row (7 row in later expys) seems like a waste of time. May as well do it right the first time. I'll be moving to Arizona soon, so I can use all the extra cooling I can get.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What year and model did you use to order that? (and by anychance do you have the part number?) Expy's don't come with diesels here. And by any chance to you have any pic of it post installation? When I had my trans fluid changed, it looked like it was burning. So I don't want to have to do this twice, just going from a 5 row to a 7 row (7 row in later expys) seems like a waste of time. May as well do it right the first time. I'll be moving to Arizona soon, so I can use all the extra cooling I can get.

Mine is a 26 row.

Pics:
https://www.expeditionforum.com/posts/307871/

Look for 2005-2007 F-250/350 Super Duties. Rockauto part number: FO4050104

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doesn't a cooler that size cover the entire ac condenser? That would negatively impact AC performance, especially in Arizona. Remember the F150 trucks with max tow package only come with the 4 row cooler and have not had widespread transmission issues. There are many many more of the pickups on the road with this same drive train than expeditions too. Change your fluid more often, I do it every other year at the dealer. The 7 row should serve you fine and still allow airflow for the AC condenser behind it. Going to a 7 row cooler alone is a 40% increase in cooling capacity.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
AC hasn’t been effected actually like I thought it would.

The Super Duty cooler is the first thing the V10 and the 7.3l guys do to their Excursions and trucks. True they are heavier, but they do run the same transmission.

I lost a transmission in a different vehicle due to insufficient cooling. Call me gun shy when I see my cooler get fully saturated with heat with the old cooler. If you don’t have an OBDII reader, ignorance is bliss and you might be OK, might not.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They are not the same transmission, the V10 and excursions use the Ford 5 speed HD transmission. It is a sturdy unit but not thermostatically controlled, and it is designed to run at a lower temp than the 6 speed unit in the expedition.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
V10 and 7.3 run the 4r100- 4 speed transmission. Same as the first gen 5.4l Expedition.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 08 super duty switched to the 5r110 5 speed automatic, and kept that same huge 26 row transmission cooler. I don't have a problem with transmission temps on my 6r80 with its 7 row stock cooler, now the coolant temp of the motor is another story all together.