Bilstein 5100 Lift Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MATT0404

Reaction score
So what's the consensus on spring perch settings front/rear on the Expedition specific Bilstein 5100's? I have a set being delivered today to replace my RL 3/2 and would like to get them set right the first time.

It looks like a lot of people are setting the fronts to max (1.6") and the rears one notch down from the top (1.1"). I may be wrong, or it could just be the perspective from the photos, but this setting appears to leave the front end a bit higher than the rear. I'd prefer a more level stance or, if anything, I'd prefer the rear to be slightly higher than the front.

Anyone have a level side shot of their Expedition with the Bilsteins set to max height front and back? Also, if you have center of hub to fender measurements, that'd be much appreciated!

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score

EricExpedition

Reaction score
https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/bilstein-5100-lift-install.39871/page-16#post-429337

So what's the consensus on spring perch settings front/rear on the Expedition specific Bilstein 5100's? I have a set being delivered today to replace my RL 3/2 and would like to get them set right the first time.

It looks like a lot of people are setting the fronts to max (1.6") and the rears one notch down from the top (1.1"). I may be wrong, or it could just be the perspective from the photos, but this setting appears to leave the front end a bit higher than the rear. I'd prefer a more level stance or, if anything, I'd prefer the rear to be slightly higher than the front.

Anyone have a level side shot of their Expedition with the Bilsteins set to max height front and back? Also, if you have center of hub to fender measurements, that'd be much appreciated!

Jigstick

Reaction score
Does installing these Bilstein 5100 Expedition shocks alter the max towing capabilities on Expys with the heavy duty towing package?

Jigstick

Reaction score
No. Shocks do not determine towing capacities.

What about rear ended squat? I’m having my shocks done soon. Going with factory ride height. But I’m curious if these Bilsteins will change the hitch drop I need when towing. My boat is 8500#s