Bilstein shocks don't fit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

limamike

Reaction score
See if you can find old 2003-2010 4 runner struts or if you can get the spring perches off bilstein 2418401, which is a shock for a toyota 4-runner or its bigger brother, the strut perch fits the 24-197717 for the expedition.

mbed

Reaction score
Hey guys. 07 Expedition EL. I installed Monroe Quick struts about 1 1/2 yrs ago. Never liked the ride with the new struts to begin with but now I'm bouncing all over going down the road.

Here's the problem: instead of doing quick struts again, I thought I would just replace the shock. But the Bilstein shock does not fit the Monroe Quick strut lower spring seat. The Bilstein is significantly narrower in diameter. Only thing I can guess is Monroe designed their own spring seat to fit their shock.

Stupidly, I did not hang on to the OEM assemblies. I'm assuming the Bilsteins would fit that.

anybody else run into this? I'm not sure if I buy an OEM spring seat whether it will fit the coil. If Monroe changed the spring seat design, maybe their coil is different too? Aggravating.

Oh and I can't find an oem strut assembly at any junk yard.

I have an 08 EL and the quick struts are not meant to be used on the EL. The springs are much bigger on the rear of an EL vs std Expedition due to weight and extra leverage of bounce due to extra weight. I almost had them installed by a place but hemmed and hawed due to price...while searching, I found out by calling Monroe and a few other mfg of ready struts. None are rated for the rear EL. Hope this helps but I am guessing the springs are the issue...

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 08 EL and the quick struts are not meant to be used on the EL. The springs are much bigger on the rear of an EL vs std Expedition due to weight and extra leverage of bounce due to extra weight. I almost had them installed by a place but hemmed and hawed due to price...while searching, I found out by calling Monroe and a few other mfg of ready struts. None are rated for the rear EL. Hope this helps but I am guessing the springs are the issue...

Weight?

Odd.

Difference should be negligible compared to effects of loadout...