black leather wrapped my A-pillar, tweeter also

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 99 expy, and a friend of mine gave me some black leather he had extra so I decided to try and wrap the A-pillar piece of trim and mount a small tweeter in the bottom. Here is my final product.

Last edited:

jstrut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have wanted to do something like this for a while, can you post some pics of the back and give a quick run through of how you did it?

JTKustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i did this to almost every panel in my truck lol, what glue did you use? mine was all trial and error with different glues and using the heatgun

OP
OP
D

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the comments. I will get some more pictures on here for you shortly.

My process was as follows:

The panel was marked and cut for the tweeter. and just smoothed the hole with 120 grit to remove the bad bits.
Then it got a good through cleaning with rubbing alcohol.
I used a "3M high strength 90 spray adhesive" comes in a big green can, with three pattern settings high, med., low.
I cut the pattern and applied adhesive to both surfaces, making sure to let it tack for about 2 minutes before I started applying upholstery to plastic
I started in the middle of the piece and worked outward pulling and smoothing around curves and then around the back side I hit it with a little more glue, and started folding edges until I got to a curve, then I used a new flat blade to make "pie" or relief cuts and just kept pulling material until I worked my way around the entire piece.
I just cut an X in the tweeter hole and glued the edges back. I wanted it to have a little padding to avoid unwanted vibrations through the plastic.
the leather is a foam backed standard auto upholstery. nothing fancy or special.

jstrut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the comments. I will get some more pictures on here for you shortly.

My process was as follows:

The panel was marked and cut for the tweeter. and just smoothed the hole with 120 grit to remove the bad bits.
Then it got a good through cleaning with rubbing alcohol.
I used a "3M high strength 90 spray adhesive" comes in a big green can, with three pattern settings high, med., low.
I cut the pattern and applied adhesive to both surfaces, making sure to let it tack for about 2 minutes before I started applying upholstery to plastic
I started in the middle of the piece and worked outward pulling and smoothing around curves and then around the back side I hit it with a little more glue, and started folding edges until I got to a curve, then I used a new flat blade to make "pie" or relief cuts and just kept pulling material until I worked my way around the entire piece.
I just cut an X in the tweeter hole and glued the edges back. I wanted it to have a little padding to avoid unwanted vibrations through the plastic.
the leather is a foam backed standard auto upholstery. nothing fancy or special.

Thank you for the explanation! I think that is a great look and I think I'm going to try it out now. Have you done more since then? Pics?