Blinkers working intermittently or not at all

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michaelkwhitworth

Reaction score
I replaced the multi-function switch twice on 2004 Expedition. I took the first one back under warranty thinking/hoping I may have got a bad one. I replaced the relay as well even though the flashers worked. Still have the Problem. I'm at a total loss.

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

Can you read and understand wiring diagrams, have a test light or multimeter and know how to use it?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here are the diagrams for 2004.

Attachments

• 09-01.pdf
    166.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 09-02.pdf
    181.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 09-03.pdf
    200.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shorts (to ground) usually blow fuses, so not a short. You have an intermittent "open" in the circuit. Now you just need to find where it is located.

JoeD

Reaction score
Have you tried changing the tilt angle of the steering wheel? If I remember correctly, there were problems with a harness being a tad short.

When these were new the steering wheel would spring up with a lot of force, and thats about when ours began this intermittent problem.

Our 04 has this issue, we can go for a month and it doesnt happen, then it will show up. My findings are that it occurs more often when the cabin temperature gets hot.

Sorry for being vague, I only drive it once in while - its the wifes.

OP
OP
M

michaelkwhitworth

Reaction score
I checked the tilt on the steering wheel. That doesn't seem to be the problem. Unfortunately I'm not experienced enough with electrical to track down an open/short.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He stated his blinkers working intermittently or not at all. Michael, try wiggling the wires at the multi-switch, and the relay. If you live in a climate where you get humidity or heavy rain, it's possible it's a dirty/rusty connection going to one of the plugs involving your signals. Also check the fuse connection for turn signal/ flasher. Mine is fuse 23 a 10 amp inside drivers fuse box. Check your owners book if it's same location. Your problem could be intermittent due to the connection could be reconnecting after going over a bump. Let us know what you find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk