Blown plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im kind of worried because I hear ticking, but that might be an exhaust leak, I got the 97' 5.4, is the problem with blown plugs that prevelant with this year of 5.4?

What should I look for to see/hear if somthing is wrong so I can catch it before anything bad happens?

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
grab a torq wrench and socket and check to make sure the plugs are all tight if you are worried about it...

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Ticking that sounds like an exhaust leak is a sign of a plug ready to launch. Of course it could just be an exhaust leak as well. :)

Don't risk it... check your plugs.

Only torque when motor is cool (never hot). 13 ft lbs I believe.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my 97 has broken 4 exhaust studs since i have had it.. could be that as well

but very possible it is a plug also

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
my 97 has broken 4 exhaust studs since i have had it.. could be that as well

but very possible it is a plug also

Thats what sucks.... the expys are also prone to rusted off header studs. But that creates no real immediate danger where as a loose plug does.

A large percentage of those that have launched plugs have stated they heard ticking sound just like an exhaust leak right before they decided to exit the block.

Better safe than sorry.:)

OP
OP
jacks3am

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I ave to take off the coils, and those are held on by hex bolts correct? out of all the things ive looked at in my truck, i've never cared to look at the spark plugs, plus im towing TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:blah:

How long do you guys think it will take to torque them?

Can it still rin with a launched plug?

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I ave to take off the coils, and those are held on by hex bolts correct? out of all the things ive looked at in my truck, i've never cared to look at the spark plugs, plus im towing TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:blah:

How long do you guys think it will take to torque them?

Can it still rin with a launched plug?

I don't recommend driving with blown plug, when mine went it had no power really:badidea:

It shouldn't take to long to do it 1hr or so..if you know what your doing

OP
OP
jacks3am

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
alright we got to the campsite just fine lol, so when I get back up there ill get to wrenchin, i already checked #1 and its ok