Blue Ox hitch owners step in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did the 9 position shank work for you pulling a camper? It shows a bxw1500-s will work, but also lists a bxw1506 with more adjustments. I’d hate to have to return a heavy item like this.

I’m going to go with Jegs on a price match instead of amazon. They seem to have a good return policy, except shipping back is on me unless damaged when arrives.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is my sway pro receiver, @Deadman...

The extra positions are good for different vehicles. If you have a 3/4 ton of larger pickup and the expy, you'll want the 9 hole deal instead of this 7 hole one. It can go either way, so, not sure how many combinations this is. Their set up instructions are awesome. If I didn't have this on my Tacoma before I got the expedition, the single two position one would've worked that I saw on blue ox website. No matter, I use the exposed holes to keep my pins handy/home and this lump usually lives in the garage of the camper unless I'm connected. I find it works great for my 7K# camper. Believe I have the 1000# bars... Someone in the campground told me I need to get a Pro-Pride, but, that one seems like a lot of screwing around to get right/connected. Not to mention $$$... The sway pro "came" with my camper when I bought it. No complains, but, definitely pick up a couple extra pins that hold the bars in place on the receiver. I've sheared one off and had it rigged up while I awaited shipment from blue ox (they sent them free, but, maybe ask for a couple after you have it in hand as the fella I talked to said "sometimes that happens").
Enjoy!
[emoji631] [emoji106][emoji123][emoji41]96d796a9782d1dcd4a2792e0735435ee.jpg

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't tow with Blue Ox, but your trailer is a major part of the equation. It's easy to figure out.

Level your trailer and measure the ball height. Then measure the height of the receiver on your Expy. Now you'll know about how much of a drop or rise you need on your stinger.

OP
OP
D

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t have access to the trailer. It’s three hours from me, family let’s us use it. They don’t have a good hitch. No idea how they stand to tow it. So getting ready for spring and want to be ready. The hitches show in stock as of now, most things I’ve found with the pandemic disappear once I go to get the, so I buy as soon as I see the need now.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the 7-hole shank with 1,000lb bars and had it set to the lowest holes for my travel trailer. If I had another hole I would have probably dropped it one more. I imagine the 9-hole shank would be sufficient for most trailers. Are the 1500lb bars overkill since the max tongue weight is 900lbs? I switched to a ProPride hitch because I'm pushing the Expy's limits with my trailer (33', 8000lbs, 900lbs tongue weight), but liked the BlueOx setup. They also have great support. If you call, you get right through to someone who can answer any technical question about it.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is midway down because the trailer is fairly high - I would think a 9-hole is low enough it would start hitting the ramps into parking lots/gas stations etc. 2nd shows the height of the trailer - note the tongue is welded below the frame or I would have had to flip the hitch mount. As it is, it's just high enough that the Expy tailgate hits the power tongue jack... :-(

Oh and this photo is with the 750 lb bars the dealer sold me. I've since upgraded to 1000 lb bars to move more weight off the rear axle. It's borderline as it is now for RAWR.

Last bit of advice - with the Blue Ox, don't try to unload the bars when the trailer/truck aren't in a straight line and all the weight is on them. I have the stitches above my left eye to prove it...

IMG_1135.jpg 2018-08-06 at 16-49-13.jpg

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last bit of advice - with the Blue Ox, don't try to unload the bars when the trailer/truck aren't in a straight line and all the weight is on them. I have the stitches above my left eye to prove it...

Ouch! I second your advice. I would extend my tongue jack almost to its limit to take weight off the bars and reduce tension in the chain. I got caught by surprise a couple of times, but thankfully not to the point of stitches.

BTW, that second pic is awesome!

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ouch! I second your advice. I would extend my tongue jack almost to its limit to take weight off the bars and reduce tension in the chain. I got caught by surprise a couple of times, but thankfully not to the point of stitches.

BTW, that second pic is awesome!

:) Stopped for a break at the Columbia Icefields glacier on the way home from Jasper... at least I assume you're talking about the scenery!

OP
OP
D

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is midway down because the trailer is fairly high - I would think a 9-hole is low enough it would start hitting the ramps into parking lots/gas stations etc. 2nd shows the height of the trailer - note the tongue is welded below the frame or I would have had to flip the hitch mount. As it is, it's just high enough that the Expy tailgate hits the power tongue jack... :-(

Oh and this photo is with the 750 lb bars the dealer sold me. I've since upgraded to 1000 lb bars to move more weight off the rear axle. It's borderline as it is now for RAWR.

View attachment 39735 View attachment 39736

that looks like a top coupler, do you have the underslung head they sell?

I’m confused on what rating to buy. Etrailer had said to get one where it puts you 75% or so of the rating you need when I talked to them last summer. Was going with different brand, Reese or equalizer since made in USA. Ended up not going out again so shelved the idea.

Blue ox said you can break the hitch with too much weight. So many be the 1000 is enough for our trucks. I’m trying to find the post from last year where the guy in Louisville had a blue ox that pulled his monster trailer well. Had been out to SD with it. Hoping it says what he is using.