boil over/not over heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

chucks97expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I like what your using to show your results but I simply own an OBDII scan tool that tells me what codes I have(if any) Bottom line is that there isn't a problem with using a cooler T-stat. Everyone seems to think there is. Ask any guy that races a car, using a cooler stat simply runs the motor at a cooler temp and they do that for horse power increases. Cooler air in and running it cooler means more power. Although I didn't do it for that reason I did on other cars I own. I will post more results as the temps here drop.

OP
OP
C

chucks97expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have an auto temp in my 97 expy eddie b but I do have the fan set to low and she's pumping out great heat. Even have to turn the rear air/heat down or off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chucks97expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cool thanks, I wish I had the auto temp in mine but I don't think that was an option.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the Bluetooth OBD ii Adaptor was under $10.00 the Torque Pro was I think $5.95

not a bad price for the information it gives.

Plus it allows me to post that information and not be questioned as to it being true.

As for you using a lower stat I wouldn't agree or disagree But I will say the expy was designed to run with a 190/195 stat as is provides the temp reading to the PCM which controls the engine.
Since Ford designed it that way there must be a reason for this.

What I am saying is if you have overflowing problems with a 195 deg stat than I would suspect that you have a problem elsewhere. Seems that most on this forum are not having the problem that you have when they have been using a 195 deg stat.

By using the lower stat all you may be doing is putting a band aid on another problem

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
and (Maybe) one last comment since we don't use the expy as a race car. I would tend to stick with what Ford recommends for Normal use.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm happy to update that it's been three weeks and I haven't had any problems. To reply to Yudaman first, the water pump circulates the antifreeze through the motor into the radiator. The 160 degree stat holds the anitfreeze back until it reaches 160. The reason for a higher T-stat is for heat. That's it. Overheat because its flowing to fast through the radiator? you got me on that, never heard that happening to anyone. A car runs cooler on a cooler thermostat. As for efficiency? seriously? you can ask anyone on here and no one is getting 20 miles to the gallon haha! I gave up efficiency to own a big truck and I thank everyone who owns a little car that gets 40 miles to the gallon for keeping the fuel prices down haha....anyway the cooler the T-stat the less time it takes to open and the heat isn't as hot(usually) but I have news for all the neigh sayers....my heat works great! This weekend here in the windy city it dropped to around freezing and I got heat like I had the 195 stat installed. Oh by the way I have a 99 corvette 33,000 miles with a 160 stat(of course I dont drive it in the winter) and I also own a 06 chrysler 300 with the hemi 65,000 miles, that I installed a 160 in a few years ago. I haven't had a problem with any of them. What works for me may not work for you but I simply wanted to post the problem I had and that it seems to be fixed.

Yes, you can still kill what effiency is there by going to a thermostat that's too cold. The ECU has a certain temp it's programmed to switch from cold start to normal operation. If the engine never reaches that temp then it'll never get out of cold start operation. Which means it's always running rich. Unless your 300 and Vette are tuned for the cooler stats I bet they would run better with a stock temp stat.

I still run the stock temp stat in my Cobra. And it's far from stock.

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sometimes my truck gets 20+mpg :)

And it's nay-sayers. What you wrote would be to horses, as horses 'neigh'.

OP
OP
C

chucks97expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My vette and 300 both have been tuned because I have other upgrades done to go along with the cooler stats. The 300 cuts off 4 cylinders on the expressway so that one gets the best gas mileage. As far as the truck and efficiency? again for a truck weighing in at almost 6,000 pounds with 32inch tires, there is none. On the expressway the best I got was about 17-18(no kids, no dog, no coolers or luggage)....better if I was going down hill haha! And you can say what you want about it never reaching operating temp and affecting the ECU but its going on 3 weeks now and still no problems. My heat is great and like bedrck46 said, in the winter it might be a different story but I'll post more as the temps here drop. My thread was about a problem I had and what I did that worked for me. As far as all the negative sally's and "nay" not "neigh" sayers (thanks Detroit for the grammar correction and I didn't know about the horses lol) that don't support ideas that work? then why go on a forum to begin with? We're not all mechanics here, we're more like a family that all drive similar Rigs. When we have problems we come here and read what worked for other guy/girls and what didn't. I'm proof that it's working for me. If someone else has had a similar problem then I hope it works for them. And if they live in Arizona then thermostat issue isn't an issue at all haha!

OP
OP
C

chucks97expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just an update on the 160 T stat. Haven't had any problems and the temps have gotten to about 16 degrees here in Chi town. She heats up fine, not as hot as with the 195 t stat but I still have to turn the heat down(maybe having the rear heat/air helps?) and just took her to the emissions place today and she passed! YAY!