BlueCruise meltdown over Salt Stripes??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kreutz73

Reaction score
BlueCruise can't figure out where the lane is in this picture. Guessing it mostly relies on cameras and algorithms to determine where the lane is. I've wondered about this when driving through construction zones with poorly painted road lines and it randomly looses its track. But this turned out to be a good test.

East coast is bracing for a winter storm this weekend and i saw a lot of the salt spray lines on a long drive yesterday. BlueCruise was unusable under these circumstances, it was too confused by the salt lines and would quickly disengage in various ways (resume control, cancelled, keep hands on wheel). Then come right back on and disengage again and rinse and repeat. Lots of beeping and alerts, holding the wheel the whole time regardless. Further to the fact BC wouldn't work, 'lane keep assist' was also struggling a lot, literally driving in the center of this lane (picture my son took over my shoudler) and the lane guidance icon would constantly flash red and wheel would vibrate. Had a long drive so i played with it, paying attention to failure modes and circumstances. 100% repeatable - it was the salt stripes - not affected by sun orientation or shadows or anything else. Worked great when we got to PA and the salt lines stopped for a bit but came back when we encountered more salting, and continued whenever salt lines were visible.

Just sharing, curious if others are learning more about how it works too. Figure its helpful to know and be prepared for what it can and can't handle.

IMG_6546.jpeg

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Computers aren't perfect. I wouldnt ever use BC even in perfect conditions anyways, personally . I dont trust a computer with control of the wheel at highway speeds.

SunnySunshine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Computers aren't perfect. Just look at ChatGPT. Those lines would confuse the heck out of any current autonomous driving system at the moment probably.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please for the sake of humanity, not feed or train the AI. Drive your car yourself and pray that others are not using AI to bear down on you in the wrong lane. It is folly to think that robots won't kill people, they already have and will continue to do so.

1704572791876.jpeg

Last edited: