Brake/Caliper Sticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blockhead ed

Reaction score
Hello all, I have an 04 Expedition NBX 5.4. Having a problem with the front passenger caliper not releasing and drags. The ABS light is on steady but computer reads no codes. Have recently replaced brakes pads and rotors and fluid. Just replaced soft brake hoses this week. When brakes are applied the passenger caliper will not release. The driver side will. When we open the bleeder on the passenger side it still does not release. We have to pry it back with a flat screw driver to release it. Starting to think bad caliper? Any thoughts or ideas on what the issue may be other than that? Problems has been on going only with that side prior to brakes/rotors etc. Thanks in advance.

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it won't come loose when the bleeder is open the caliper would be my first guess. Especially since you already replaced the hose and have fresh fluid.

dvandoormaal

Reaction score
Brakes/Calipers

I'm planning on doing my pads and rotors after work today. Got a sweet setup from Maxxbrakes here in Canada for $100 all in (fronts).

Once I get in there, what is the best way to clean/treat the calipers? Would it be best to give them a good soaking with brake cleaner? Is there any way to lube the actuator if its sticky/ceased?

Im praying I don't have any issues with the calipers but she does have 300k km on her.

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have never rebuilt a caliper. If you can get a rebuild kit you would have to pull it disassemble, clean, hone the piston bore, reassemble with new seals/hardware. I'd be willing to bet a rebuild kit is $20 or more and a rebuilt caliper is prob $50. NOt worth the effort to me.

bnicov

Reaction score
Just put a rebuilt caliper and be done with it. It costs a bit more but it is cleaned up and should work, if not, it has a warranty.

steelnewfie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In my experience with stuck calipers even if you do manage to work it out for a bit, once you put on a new pad you will exasperate the problem. Don't bother with trying to work it out, it won't last. Get a new one with new pistons.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah you can get a front set of rebuilt calipers for $100 from Rock Auto. Or not much more from a local supply shop. I wouldn't even drive it if you know a caliper is sticking. Make sure the pad return springs are in place on the caliper when you re-install the pads.

-Mike

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with all the guys, don't mess with rebuilding a stuck caliper. You've got to use air or pump the pedal and sometimes the pistons come out. You've got dual pistons, and to get both out evenly is tough with a free caliper. Put a reman caliper on, best to change both. When trucks and cars sit outdoors they get moisture and rust in there. When you compress the pistons for new pads that's when the sticking starts. Make sure to bleed all 4 corners to get all that old fluid out. It's probably has water mixed with the fluid. Good luck,Moose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk