Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Everyone - picking up a new to us camper tomorrow. Expedition did not come with HD tow package so I installed aftermarket 7 pole connector and hooked it up to the capped off blue trailer brake wire already in the back, installed a brake controller from eTrailer and everything is lit up ready to go.

Used this install tutorial: https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/installing-a-7-blade-rv-connector-on-a-ford-expedition/

My big question is: Is this thing already working?!

Ford service in my area was no use and eTrailer support wasn't 100% sure. My brake controller is on and flashes NC for not connected. When I connect FORSCAN, I do not see an option to enable a brake controller anywhere.

Is the brake controller really just plug and play? My fear is I get the camper tomorrow and I think my controller is working when it really isn't. Any and all help is appreciated.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure the enable brake controller in forscan is for the factory unit, not third party.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
How'd you wire the brake controller? What blue wire did you use under the dash? Did you find one in the harness that lead to the rear connector?

OP
OP
Kjhawkeye1

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hooked up the aftermarket controller using a wiring harness that plugged right into the hook up next to the obd.

I believe it is working because I used a voltmeter while having my son step on the break. Current was definitely running thru the plug in the back. If they are electric brakes and electricity is being sent, it should just work... Right?

Posts about enabling the module never seem to stipulate needing to do it for aftermarket vs stock.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2008 expedition and I fitted a brake controller, the 7 pin plug was already fitted to the car, so I just wired the controller into the 4 pin plug near the ODB plug and that was it, everything worked perfectly, there was no need to enable anything in FORSCAN, as stated I think that option is only needed for the Ford brake controller

OP
OP
Kjhawkeye1

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hooked TT up today and can confirm as well that just plugging in the brake controller to the plug near obd is all that was needed. Thanks for the replies that came thru. Always appreciate this community.