Brake fluid flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lonestarjeff

Reaction score
How often do you change it? I bought a pressure kit for my daughter's bimmer a few years ago(she since traded it away for a jeep). Might as well put it to use on my trucks. Just have find the adapter cap for my master cylinder.

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never changed it on any Ford product that I’ve owned several with well over 200k. I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt, it’s just not recommended maintenance like on Merc/BMW etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s an overlooked item. Most never change it. But over time, it can break down and absorb water.

I changed it on my 1st gen when it was like 16 years old. I’d assume that was the first time it was changed.

thesavo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with changing it my opinion. Brake fluid is hygroscopic. So it seaks out water, which contaminants it and turns it black.

A quart size bottle of dot 4 (dot 3 compatible) is not expensive and brake bleeding is a rewarding experience. Forscan software for windows will even activate the ABS bleeding procedure on many Ford models.

If the fluid is Black or dark, it had started to absorb water and should be considered for replacement.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

CaptainKrunch

Reaction score
Every few years. If it isn't the same color as when it came out of the bottle then people aren't doing themselves any favors by not cleaning the system out .

I just hook up my extractor to each wheel until it runs clean.

Calabrio

Reaction score
Brake fluid technology continues to improve too.
Bosch is selling a 5.1 which has a boiling point much, much higher than Dot 3 and 4, and it's not silicon based like DOT5, so you can mix it.

Bilsto

Reaction score
I do mine on every used car I buy. Most cars I buy have well over 100,000 miles. I can always feel a difference. Usually the old fluid is dark.

OP
OP
lonestarjeff

lonestarjeff

Reaction score
I had a couple of unopened quarts of DOT4 left on the shelf, so I put the pressure pot to use & flushed mine. The old fluid was dark green & had a few lumps in it. I did have to find the adapter cap for my master cylinder. Here's a couple of pics of the old fluid....

7luuOePh.jpg

Sq4IhHGh.jpg