Brake Rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CyberVinnie

Reaction score
i have come to accept that I will inevitably warp the rotors on any Ford vehicle I own, and it’s taken less than 20k miles on my ‘17 Expy EL to prove me right. I also accept that it is likely a result, at least in part, of my driving style as well as my propensity to get my car washed when the brakes are at operating temperature. Beyond that, I blame the rest on crappy steel (as my mechanic once put it to me) and perhaps overzealous newbies at the dealership who go a little overboard with the air gun when rotating my tires.

Anyway, I’m looking for some recommendations; has anyone put good heavy-duty rotors on an Expy?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put Motorcraft High Level Surface rotors (whatever that means) on my 07’ and they’ve been good. I used powerstop ceramic pads with them.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
i have come to accept that I will inevitably warp the rotors on any Ford vehicle I own, and it’s taken less than 20k miles on my ‘17 Expy EL to prove me right. I also accept that it is likely a result, at least in part, of my driving style as well as my propensity to get my car washed when the brakes are at operating temperature. Beyond that, I blame the rest on crappy steel (as my mechanic once put it to me) and perhaps overzealous newbies at the dealership who go a little overboard with the air gun when rotating my tires.

Anyway, I’m looking for some recommendations; has anyone put good heavy-duty rotors on an Expy?
My recommendation is to take a driving course. No disrespect intended, but I finally changed the rotors at 215k miles on my 07 and that was only because a caliper seized. That was with a lot of towing with a 10k lb. enclosed trailer and going through the mountains between Michigan and Florida. The Appalachians will give any tow vehicle a work out. My F350 diesel I never had to change the rotors on. 100k miles of plowing in Mass. winters.
Crappy steel? Not likely. Ford has some of the beefiest rotors I've ever seen.
I threw a set of rotors on my 07 in December from Advance Auto. No problems for me.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my Excursion. The rotors would warp in less than 1,000 miles. I cured that when I bought DBA (Disk Brake Australia) rotors that gave me some 80,000 flawless miles. I matched them with Hawk ceramic pads.

When I got the Expedition, I found that DBA didn't make rotors for them, so I bought Ford Motorcraft, along with Ford pads. Never had a problem with rotors again.

Fords "High Level Service" is supposed to be a lower priced line of parts to compete with the aftermarket. They seem to be just as good as the "factory replacement" and only slightly cheaper.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say whatever steel they used on mine is pretty decent. I put them on about 1 year ago and thru winter they still aren’t rusted.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett