Brake Upgrade Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How fast was the Fusion going?

It does really suck, but no frame damage and no body damage... just bumper and cover.(and wiring for sensors and stuff)

I was completely stopped at light... not sure how fast he was going when I hit.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like the Fusion submarined under the back of your Expy since the bumper bar on the Fusion isn't even bent. I'm sure you were glad to be driving the bigger vehicle, and hope no one was injured. Did they end up having to replace your trailer hitch in addition to the bumper cover?

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have personally never had a problem with any truck or SUV Factory braking system. I don't see the need for upgrades but then again, I drive mine like a truck or an SUV and not a high-performance race car. As someone mentioned eventually your way past the attraction and stopping ability of your tires anyways. I feel that the factory stock is almost already at this point.
Most brake upgrades aren't exactly designed for shorter stopping distances or better stopping power even though some do give those results at least early on. Most brake upgrades are designed to be able to break harder, more times in a shorter period of time and handle the immense heat that's built up better without having brake fade.
Anyone driving a truck or an SUV and having brake fade is obviously using the wrong vehicle for the job. These are not Road Race vehicles.

I find that pretty much all modern cars have very capable stock braking ability. On the flip side I rarely ever find my self following a driver that demonstrates proper brake use today. Likely because brake “fade” and failure is so rare it’s something 99.999% of the drivers never experience.

The modification thing is what it is everyone thinks that just bolting on different parts makes them smarter than the engineers that spent considerable time money and technology designing and testing it lol.

I’d say 99% if the braking issues today are user error which case that bolsters the argument that self driving vehicles will be safer method in the future. LOL Can only blame our selves for that result.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am in normal mode. I downshift using the paddle shifter. The transmission only holds the gear for a period of time and then upshifts. How can you mane it so it will not upshift?
I actually find the engine braking with the 3.5 Expedition to be very marginal and basically disappointing. As a result I don’t engine brake as much as I did with my old truck or even in my Subaru. I do try to watch brake use to keep temps down and fully expect brake pads to be short life items. Tho 30,000 on my Sequoia was short life and 60,000 on my Subaru used to tow was decent compared to non towing Subarus in the family doing 80-90,000.
My Land Cruiser was 8,000-15,000 miles per pad set‍♂️.
Guessing the Expedition does 30k per set. Or possibly less we’ll see.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like the Fusion submarined under the back of your Expy since the bumper bar on the Fusion isn't even bent. I'm sure you were glad to be driving the bigger vehicle, and hope no one was injured. Did they end up having to replace your trailer hitch in addition to the bumper cover?

The hitch was fine... he mostly hit the left side, not dead center.