Brake upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
but the slot...drilled...slot/drilled are designed to dissipate the heat quickly...

The point of the slots and holes was to get rid of the gasses that the brake pads would release when hot. The gas would keep the pad from making good contact with the rotor. New pad technology has pretty much eliminated that issue. Look at racing sports like Formula and NASCAR. They run solid rotors to deal with the heat. I read somewhere recently that the only reason Porsche still has drilled rotors is because the customers like the look. The vanes that run down the middle of the rotor are for cooling.

OP
OP
XLTExpoGuy2010

XLTExpoGuy2010

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So am I better off getting slotted and drilled rotors or just search for a heavy duty rotor? I don't move the trailer much maybe once a month at most.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you want the bling of the drilled/slotted then get those. Otherwise a stock replacement rotor will work fine.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had warping issues on the OEM rotors and went with Centric "black hat" rotors. They are not drilled or slotted, but vented as OEM are. No warping and the wheels don't corrode onto the rotor (especially here in PA with the brine and rock salt in the winter).

I also went with Hawk LTS pads. Both seems to be an improvement over OEM. Doing the fronts tomorrow and hopefully that will get the Big Girl so stop on a dime or at least a quarter with some change! :)

David1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Big help to prevent warpage ie hot spots is to always roll 1-2 feet after stopping. This will help keep that heat build up from sitting on that one clamped spot.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got the new pads and rotors (Hawk LTS pads and Centric plain rotors) on today. What a difference! We'll see how they bed in, but initial feeling is a nice firm pedal, good modulation and better stopping. The Bus never stopped better in the 100k I've had it! I wish I did this a while ago.

mrford60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
how have your brakes holding up GaryH2. I am looking at doing mine and wanted some good feedback. thanks

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Neighbor! I'm in SE PA too!

SO far the brakes are doing just fine. No warping and the pedal is still firm.

The bus goes in next month (May) so you know in PA they will check the brakes. I'll give you the measurements then, but so far I've been pleased.

The only negative I've had so far is that I'm getting a bit of squeak when I stop sometimes. Given that the truck goes on dirt and gravel roads fairly frequently it could be due to grit and not directly attributable to the pads and rotors.