Brakes for 2005?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArkFord

Reaction score
New guy here. I need to do a brake job on my 2005 Limited. I found an old post where some of you had great experience with brakes from the brakemotive76 seller on ebay. I found the full kit (8 pads and 4 rotors) for $159. I guess the cheap price was making me leery so wanted to check with all of you again. :) Do you guys still recommend this seller and their brakes? Thanks!

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always get stuff from Rockauto. I did ceramic pads all the way around from Centric, and got slotted/cross drilled rotors up front cause I tow alot. My rears I didn't replace. I have no brake pedal pulsating since I always tighten my lugs to 120 each after tires are rotated and those idiots use a torque stick.

Why are you replacing the rotors other than having the pedal pulsate? A set of Ceramic pads front and rear would run about 80/shipped from Rock Auto

OP
OP
A

ArkFord

Reaction score
I always get stuff from Rockauto. I did ceramic pads all the way around from Centric, and got slotted/cross drilled rotors up front cause I tow alot. My rears I didn't replace. I have no brake pedal pulsating since I always tighten my lugs to 120 each after tires are rotated and those idiots use a torque stick.

Why are you replacing the rotors other than having the pedal pulsate? A set of Ceramic pads front and rear would run about 80/shipped from Rock Auto

I'm doing a complete brake job because I tow with my expedition (5500 lb camper wth trailer brakes) and its time. They (at least 1) are warped and are the original rotors on the vehicle at 140k miles. I got the expedition when it had 69k miles on it and had a brake job done where they just resurfaced the rotors and replaced pads at 80k.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Makes sense... I tow frequently at about 7000 pounds, I would get slotted and cross drilled rotors up front. If you want me to send a link of what I used I will? My Expy stops great with what I used, and have used less than 1/4 of the pads up front in about 35k miles.

OP
OP
A

ArkFord

Reaction score
Sure! Post or send away. :) The rotors I found on ebay that I had read some good reviews on are also drilled and slotted.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. About 3-4 months back we bounced this around here. It may have been under the 1 St gen section, can't remember. I ordered a set of slotted rotors, haven't put them on yet. When I get home I'll post the name of them. I'm planning on using the top Ford metallic pads from dealer. Pretty much all here have reported better braking at higher speeds with the slotted rotors at 60 mph and above.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I use the Ford pads and rotors from RockAuto. The bill comes to about $180 for the front.

Never had any problems and get 70,000 miles out of them. Chinese pads always gave me problems or were short lived.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would recommend 30109350 centric ceramics for the back $19.03 for the set, 10509340 Centric ceramics for the front $41.79, Power Stop AR8590XRP rotors for the front(slotted and crossdrilled) $52.79 each, and Power Stop AR8591EVC rotors for the rear $37.79 each. So for about $250, plus you can always find a 5 to 10 percent off coupon for them, you can have a set of fantastic brakes on your SUV. Just me, but i will never use semi metallic pads again. Ceramics are ALOT better, less fade, hold up to heat, and stop better for a few dollars more.

I looked up parts for a 2005 on rock auto too.