Broke down Ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Indytona675

Reaction score
1999 4.6l awd
So I got in the truck a couple days ago start it up put it in drive hit the gas and it dies. It won't restart. Cranks but no fire. Finaly it sputters and i coax it to idle. When you give it gas it dies. If you don't it dies after a mjnute or so. I was pondering fuel issue. Tried again the next day and same thing. Fast forward to today. Decided to try again before i go to autozone for loan a tool fuel pressure tester set. It starts. I touch the gas. It revs up. It now magically seems fine. Before even the tiniest crack of the throttle body by hand under the hood caused it to die. Like it was out of gas. (3/4 tank I checked).
So anyone have a guess? I can't test it if its working. I wojld almost have it stay doqn so i can trace problem.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel pump going out.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Definately fuel related. Whether its the fuel pump itself or bad connection or relay in the circuit. Fuel filter could cause issues but dont believe it would be intermittent in nature. Would be a good time to replace it anyways though just to be certain.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Indytona675

Indytona675

Reaction score
Relay is good. I tested that the first day. Its back to not starting at all which is a good thing. So I will test fuel pump and then replace if bad. Fuel filter as well.

jstrut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know if this is a possibility but a buddy of mine had the same problem with a chevy blazer, replaced the fuel pump and filter with no results. Come to find out it was an ignition issue. I dont know if that is just a blazer thing. Maybe someone else had heard of that and knows more about it than me.