Broken spark plug thread in cyl head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vernon Burns

Reaction score
Look for a local mobile spark plug and bolt extraction repair shop in your area. I've changed plugs on three 07 Expeditions. First two were not a problem. On my current one, five of them broke. I have a local guy here in Cincinnati that came out and removed them and cleaned the threads. New plugs went right in with no issues. Have put about 35k miles on it since. Don't remember exactly what he charged me ($300 maybe for all five). Much easier and cheaper than removing the head.

Kenneth Klein

Reaction score
05 Expy 5.4l 3v of course. #7 spark plug threads seized and broke off in cyl head. Anyone have any experience with this issue and how to remove the remainder of the plug/threads? I know about the helicoil/Cal Van kit to rethread the cyl head but I need to get the broken part out first. Thanks for any help.

View attachment 71334
You will first need to soak it in Penetrating Oil , like Kraull or Mouse Milk, let that sit for 24 hrs spraying four times minimum. Then hammer in a good spark plug easy out and extract! Hopefully you just need to clean the threads rather than install a helico!

OP
OP
Maddog11

Maddog11

Reaction score
Look for a local mobile spark plug and bolt extraction repair shop in your area. I've changed plugs on three 07 Expeditions. First two were not a problem. On my current one, five of them broke. I have a local guy here in Cincinnati that came out and removed them and cleaned the threads. New plugs went right in with no issues. Have put about 35k miles on it since. Don't remember exactly what he charged me ($300 maybe for all five). Much easier and cheaper than removing the head.
I just pulled the head, took 20 mins, took it to the machine shop and had them do it. $180.