Buffeting sound in 2015 EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Barjrob1972

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can affirmatively say that my issues have completely subsided doing what I have listed above. I have no more buffeting/pressure wave and even with one window down, everything is fine. It would appear removing the rubber flaps on the vents made the biggest difference but also cleaning the seals, tightening the doors, lowering and resetting the spare and placing my work gloves under the jack stopped all the hollow thumping sounds. She's nice and quiet.

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Could you be hearing noise, from the turbo BOV(blow off valve) or 'waste gate' popping/farting? If the turbos are spooling and power not needed, air pressure/exhaust is diverted and released. It would be soon after you take your foot off the gas and last a second or two.

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also cleaned the muck out from that weird flapped vent thing under the taillight. Seems to have helped some.

Is there some sort of rationale for removing the flaps? What's the logic there??

OP
OP
B

Barjrob1972

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also cleaned the muck out from that weird flapped vent thing under the taillight. Seems to have helped some.

Is there some sort of rationale for removing the flaps? What's the logic there??

Because they were in the way. I would have just redesigned something else if it didn't work.
I mean, they're extremely thin pieces of rubber. Not inventing the wheel here.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Because they were in the way. I would have just redesigned something else if it didn't work.
I mean, they're extremely thin pieces of rubber. Not inventing the wheel here.

In the way of...what?

I was under the (possibly misguided) impression that they were an integral part of the system's design, not just a blocker for dust

OP
OP
B

Barjrob1972

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you place the HVAC system on "fresh air", theoretically the positive pressure should force them open and let air flow through the vehicle. On recirculate they should stay sealed, possibly from a slight vacuum effect. I just removed them completely to allow air to always move freely eliminating the possibility of a pressure differential between the cab and exterior. Seems to have worked. You can replicate the same just by holding them open with some tape or something but be careful as they are fragile and can come off easily. If one comes off just superglue or hot glue it back on. A few of my little flaps even had a bead of hot glue on them from the factory.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could you be hearing noise, from the turbo BOV(blow off valve) or 'waste gate' popping/farting? If the turbos are spooling and power not needed, air pressure/exhaust is diverted and released. It would be soon after you take your foot off the gas and last a second or two.
about the only time you will hear the pop is after first start as it goes through the fast warm up cycle, these EBs are super quiet in that regard as all popped off extra boost or dump is dumped back into the air intake system on the low side .
there is a MOD to dump it the atmosphere and you get a hisss,

FisherPete

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you place the HVAC system on "fresh ..... them from the factory.

Thanks for the voice of reason. I always figure the engineers do things for a reason and would never spend money or add cost without a reason. Sometimes it takes a minute to figure it out.

Bryan44406

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Lincoln Navigator L and have the exact same problem, dealers have been clueless as to what caused it. They adjusted the Sun roof and that did help a bit, but at speeds above 70mph the vibration of the "buffeting" makes the whole car shake like a tire out of balance. If I draft behind a Semi-Truck the buffeting/vibration completely stops. I am going to try removing the flaps behind the tail lights as suggested. Every one of mine all had big dabs of what looked like glue gun glue on them, which I suspect made them too heavy to open. Thanks for the suggestion, it has been a major annoyance in an otherwise great vehicle.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Lincoln Navigator L and have the exact same problem, dealers have been clueless as to what caused it. They adjusted the Sun roof and that did help a bit, but at speeds above 70mph the vibration of the "buffeting" makes the whole car shake like a tire out of balance. If I draft behind a Semi-Truck the buffeting/vibration completely stops. I am going to try removing the flaps behind the tail lights as suggested. Every one of mine all had big dabs of what looked like glue gun glue on them, which I suspect made them too heavy to open. Thanks for the suggestion, it has been a major annoyance in an otherwise great vehicle.
Try re-positioning your luggage rack cross bars. I moved the rear bar fwd a couple of feet and the oil-canning with the windows up stopped.