2015 EL Platinum worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

klsteele

Reaction score
I’m looking at buying a 2015 Expedition EL Platinum 4WD. It has 177,000 miles in it. And being sold as-is by the dealer.
They are asking $14,500.
If it is worth it what should I look out for when I go to test drive it?
Thank you for any info.

Last edited:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It must be running g decent if the dealer tryna make cash on it. It probably has a good 50k - 100k good mikes left. I would def look at all the electronics because those would go first and be harder to fix come time for repair. Also look at shocks, brakes, transmission and the first gen ecoboost trucks did have a nagging issue but i forgot what it was.

Lynnii2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, Do rush into it and take your time. This vehicle is already 8 yrs old and high miles over 177,000. Why not keep the $14,500 and just wait the market is coming down due to many cars sitting on lots. Do some more homework and check deal auctions, lease option and more. These older truck have a lot of problems if the maintenance was not done correctly and on time.

I follow a few people on YouTube that give great information on New, Used, Lease car markets.

I also have two family member that are in the car market one is an executive for a major domestic brand and the other does fleet sale for a few dealerships. I'm also in the market for a newer Ford Expedition. my son's have outgrown our current 2010 Ford Expedition Limited 2wd with 245,000 plus on it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

klsteele

Reaction score
No, Do rush into it and take your time. This vehicle is already 8 yrs old and high miles over 177,000. Why not keep the $14,500 and just wait the market is coming down due to many cars setting on lots. Do some more homework and check deal auctions, lease option and more. These older truck have a lot of problems if the maintenance was not done correctly and on time.

I follow a few people on YouTube that give great information on New, Used, Lease car markets.

I also have two family member that are in the car market one is an executive for a major domestic brand and the other does fleet sale for run a few dealerships. I'm also in the market for a newer Ford Expedition. my son's have outgrown our current 2010 Ford Expedition Limited 2wd with 245,000 plus on it.

I’m not rushing. Just trying to find something bigger for my family that won’t break the bank. Unfortunately I’m caught up with negative equity in my current car, so something cheap(er) is kinda my only option right now.
I need something to last a few years until I can then be in a position to afford a higher payment.
Luckily we are pretty handy with vehicles, so I completely understand your point with previous owners and how they treated the vehicle.
I am pretty sure the car fax says one owner.

Lynnii2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It can be very dangerous to buy a $14,500 truck being sold as-is by the dealer without an warranty from them or extended warranty option. These truck have problems like transmission shutter, timing chains, rack and pinion and more.

is this it

You could possible buy it at an auction for half the cost and add the 3rd party warranty to it then. This is a lot of money to spend on a WHAT IF.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

klsteele

Reaction score

mfdbackdraft

Reaction score
Power running boards need a LOT of love and attention.
Seems like windows and controls are problematic.
In the rust belt, the rockers are prone to rusting away.
Watch for aluminum tailgate corrosion and paint flaking.
On the flip side, my wife would have stolen mine for the ride quality at 135k but sticks with her Explorer for ease of parking.
There is a YouTube video series by FordTechMakuloco that shows all the weaknesses of Ford and how to fix just about anything. He is awesome!!

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd keep looking. Too much money, too many miles. Sold as is? Run from this puppy.